Partnership Schools Major Gifts Officer
Partnership Schools is a trailblazing school management organization that is shaping the next generation of urban Catholic education. Formed in 2013, the Partnership is a network of eleven urban Catholic schools which serve over 3,300 students in New York and Cleveland. The Partnership is committed to providing underserved students with academic rigor, values, and life-long skills needed to break the cycle of poverty and live fulfilling lives. Partnership Schools provides an excellent education to underserved urban students: 99% of students are students of color, 80% of students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch, and over 85% of students receive scholarships. The Partnership’s board, donor base, and students are individuals of many different faiths, and 48% of our students are non-Catholic.
Partnership Schools is at a pivotal moment in its trajectory.
In our first decade, Partnership Schools has successfully pioneered a groundbreaking approach for the independent management of urban Catholic schools, one needed now more than ever. Catholic schools serving working-class families continue to close across the nation, even as the pandemic demonstrated the steady, foundational strength of these schools and their commitments to students. Because our effective model serves as a proof-point of what is possible, Partnership Schools is accelerating its growth and tenaciously expanding philanthropy to increase the number of students served and bolster the organization’s national impact on the sector.
Partnership Schools seeks an entrepreneurial and innovative Major Gifts Officer to help lead the organization’s continued philanthropic growth. The Major Gifts Officer will manage a portfolio of established major donors as emerging prospects. S/he will assist in further penetrating the Tri-State philanthropic marketplace.
The Major Gifts Officer will join a growing, motivated, and collaborative team of five development professionals plus a full time fundraising consultant. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Major Gifts Officer will cultivate and solicit philanthropic gifts to fund the Partnership’s short- and long-term strategic goals. The Major Gifts Officer will manage a portfolio of new prospects and qualify donors, build a donor pipeline, implement cultivation strategies, solicit major gifts ($10,000+), and effectively steward donors. Working closely with colleagues in the development department, as well as team members across the organization, the Major Gifts Officer will develop, execute, evaluate, and refine strategies for assigned prospects to maximize their support potential.
Since 2015, Partnership Schools has seen an increase in philanthropic support from $5.5 million to $16.3 million across our network. Each year, we challenge ourselves by increasing our fundraising goals to keep up with our rapidly expanding organization.
Looking forward, Partnership Schools is accelerating its philanthropic growth to maximize the organization's impact. We are activating a comprehensive strategic plan that will build and sustain a $20 million+ annual program, and our Major Gifts Officer will play a pivotal role in growing that program from day one.
● Manage a portfolio of individual prospects and donors using moves management strategies and evidence-based philanthropic best practices.
● Identify new prospects through research and data mining; cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift prospects to meet specific activity goals.
● Work with key staff and volunteer stakeholders to cultivate prospects and build solicitation and cultivation strategies.
● Establish specific individual tailored fundraising plans, including developing and executing a full range of donor cultivation activities including monthly school tours, donor cultivation receptions, bespoke donor experience, and large scale gathering.
● Answer current and prospective donor inquiries; maintain relationships with existing donors through regular contact to maintain ongoing engagement.
● Write correspondence, reports, and proposals.
● Enter call reports in the donor database and assure accurate files of major gift donors and prospects.
● Participate in weekly prospect pipeline and strategy meetings.
● Bachelor's Degree or higher
● 3-5 years of proven successful experience in individual fundraising
● Experience with prospecting, pipeline building, and prospect development (geared toward securing five-figure and six-figure gifts)
● Experience in successfully managing a major gift portfolio
● Proven track record of soliciting and securing major gifts of five-and six-figures
● High-energy, strategic thinker with strong execution skills; target-driven
● Ability to prioritize, organize, and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously and accurately in a detail-oriented environment
● Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
● Responsible, diligent, and conscientious, with outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
● Emotional maturity and integrity; gracious professionalism and interpersonal skills
● Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive materials
● Committed to building credible and lasting relationships with prospects and donors
● Actively open-minded and intellectually curious; committed to becoming well-versed about Partnership Schools
● Unquestioned integrity and high professional standards
● Superb written and oral communication skills
● High-level collaborator with a passion for the mission of the organization
● Commitment to success in the role and success of the organization
● Actively open-minded and intellectually curious
● Flexible and willing to adapt to changing conditions and focus