Dad’s Garage Theatre Company
Position: Grants and Communications Manager (Full-Time)
Location: Atlanta, Georgia – Old Fourth Ward (Hybrid working options available)
Salary: $40,000 - 50,000 depending on experience
Benefits: Flexible working conditions, paid vacation, health, dental, vision, short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance
About Dad’s Garage
Founded in 1995, Dad's Garage Theatre Company (Dad’s) is a mid‐size theater led by a professional artistic and administrative staff, with a professional artistic ensemble, and supported by over 300 volunteers. With a mission to transform people, communities, and perspectives through laughter, Dad’s entertains and educates more than 30,000 people each non-pandemic year. In addition to producing a season of original scripted works and 52 weeks of improv shows (5 nights a week, 8 shows average), the Dad’s team has also produced a young audiences series, participates in festivals and touring engagements, has an on-line channel, educates young improvisers in a year‐round High School Outreach Program, fundraising events, and conducts on-site classes and workshops for the general public.
The COVID-19 pandemic forced Dad’s to close its doors for 16 months, but since reopening to the public in July 2021 we’ve seen steadily increasing audiences and renewed support for live theater across Atlanta. We are a small team of seriously funny people passionately committed to building on 27 years of success while also leveraging the lessons learned in COVID-19 to come back stronger with quality programming to appeal to a wider audience through a variety of mediums.
As the Grants and Communications Manager, you will have an incredible opportunity to reimagine the mission and the story of Dad’s Garage and how we create and care for our community. This role is ideal for someone who is excited to learn from seasoned professionals but also has new and innovative ideas to bring to the table. In partnership with the Managing Director and Artistic Director, you will establish and implement fundraising goals and strategies through donor relations, public relations, and communications. With support from the rest of the staff, your responsibilities will relate to completing grant applications, securing corporate sponsorships, coordinating special events, soliciting individual donations, contributing to press releases, tracking press coverage, and other duties as needed. From building relationships with donors to creating strategy for the overall fundraising efforts, you will be a key part of the team helping generate revenue for our mission.
Why You’ll Love Working Here
- This is a great opportunity with an incredible organization in a new phase of its life cycle; you’ll be part of a team working to create a path for Dad’s continued success in a post-COVID-19, anti-racist, gender progressive, culturally aware, anti-discrimination, inclusive environment.
- We have a strong, engaged Board of Directors, the staff is impressive, fun, and super-committed, and the artists are incredibly talented and dedicated.
- We have a flexible work environment with hybrid office/work-from-home expectations, hours based on what works for you, the job, and the rest of the team, and we encourage time-off for personal life and self-care.
- We are scrappy and do a lot with a little. But this allows us to be innovative, creative and responsive to community needs. We highly encourage artists and the artistic-at-heart to apply.
- We are a company based in the art of improv – being fast on your feet is a requirement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates and oversees grant calendar for foundation and government grants the organization should apply for. Ensures these deadlines (including all reports) are met. Works with the Marketing team on narratives and the Finance team on budgets. Facilitates site visits, as needed.
- Ensures compliance with all donor requirements, including recently secured emergency funding for pandemic relief.
- Stewards existing corporate partnerships to grow investment while seeking out sponsorships with new companies.
- Stewards relationships with individual donors. This includes ensuring each donor receives applicable benefits, thank you note, tax letter or other incentives in a timely manner.
- Plans and executes annual fund mailings at the end of the calendar year and fiscal year.
- Contributes to the planning of annual fundraising events.
- Oversee general visibility of the company within the community – parades, neighborhood festivals, booths at festivals, etc.
- Coordinate all media articles, interviews, and television spots with press and staff
- Responsible for in-house communication in conjunction with Marketing Director and Artistic Director (verbal and video promotions)
- Support Marketing Department to develop and implement PR strategy for Dad’s Garage including promotion for shows, special events, classes, corporate gigs, and DGTV
- Maintain press list and contacts and write all press releases in collaboration with the Marketing Director
- Coordinate and produce all press photos
- Track and maintain files of all press received
Ideal Skills and Qualifications
- Must have a background of working in diverse environments and be committed to equity.
- Experience with raising funds from individual donors, foundations, and corporate donors.
- Intrinsically motivated; able to organize and own funding projects, deadlines, and requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working at a nonprofit arts organization preferred.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and/or PatronManager helpful.
- Self-starter who can both think big picture and pay attention to details.
- Can collaborate well with others in a group environment.
- Is innovative, creative, and flexible.
- Familiarity with improv and comedy is not necessary, but tolerance of comedians will be helpful.
Physical demands and work environment
The demands of the position change daily but often require sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Lifting and carrying materials (less than 50 pounds) is often required.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of all functions the Grants and Communications Manager may be required to perform. The Grants and Communications Manager may be required to perform additional functions. Dad’s reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. The Grants and Communications Manager must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonable accommodation may be made to enable an employee with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, absent undue hardship.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please address your cover letter to the Managing Director. Application deadline is Jul 16, 2022.
Dad's Garage provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.