GirlForward is a community of support dedicated to creating and enhancing opportunities for girls who have been displaced globally by conflict and persecution. Learn more about our organizational values here. We serve girls ages 14-22 through mentorship, education, and safe spaces programs. Girls in our community who have come to the US through refugee resettlement, asylum processes, or other immigration channels, and represent over 30 countries of origin. GirlForward is headquartered in Chicago, IL, and operates various programs in both Chicago, IL, and Austin, TX. Visit www.girlforward.org.
The Communications Manager is a visionary storyteller, strong strategist, and key contributor to Girlforward’s public voice. This role drives the overall communications strategy to elevate GirlForward’s profile, mission, and impact. This includes external and internal communications, branding, public relations, marketing, and social media. In this role, you will engage people in our critical work, inspire folks to take action on issues of importance, and ultimately support our mission of growing a community of support for newcomer girls! The Communications Manager works on the Development Team and reports directly to the Executive Director.
Organizational Leadership 10%
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Development Manager, develop the overall strategy for communications and development to support the organization in reaching its operational, programmatic, and fundraising goals.
- Lead the creation and implementation of multichannel communications and marketing activities.
- Recommend annual communications budget
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise the work of interns as needed.
- Support the strategy and vision of the organization overall and contribute to cross-functional work as needed.
- Participate in organization-wide events.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of GirlForward, especially a belief in the transformative power of mentoring and education.
Branding and Marketing 20%
- Define tone, messages, and voice for GirlForward audiences and ensure all communications and marketing adheres to approved standards including but not limited to Messaging with Dignity strategy. Update and Create new guidelines as needed.
- Steward the GirlForward brand internally and externally.
- Lead design and production of all marketing materials and manage inventory of supplies.
- Manage branding materials for sale including annual t-shirt campaigns and others as needed.
- Seek opportunities to raise the overall profile of staff and the organization including coordinating media opportunities, preparing messaging, managing press inquiries, and leading local outreach to elevate organizational status.
External Communications 30%
- Set and manage overall communications scheduling and calendar including newsletter, social media, annual reports, and other fundraising or education campaigns.
- Engage an audience of over 4,000 newsletter subscribers and 5,000 Instagram followers.
- Set strategy for social media and subscriber growth and retention tactics while monitoring engagement trends.
- Create all relevant communications content for social media, newsletters, and any physical communication strategies.
- Manage communications and ensure timely responses to all inquiries including social media, general email accounts, and other channels as needed.
- Manage website and lead website development updates in 2022, and annually thereafter as needed.
- Lead design, creation, and dissemination of Annual Report and additional campaigns as needed to report organizational impact.
- Support the fundraising efforts to raise the budget of $600,000.
- Lead digital execution of fundraising and engagement campaigns.
- Create development and marketing materials.
- Contribute to annual fundraising appeal through designing campaign materials, supporting messaging and writing communications, and contributing to overall strategy and design.
- Support donor relations including appreciation campaigns and special acknowledgments.
- Coordinate GirlForward involvement in advocacy efforts including external advocacy efforts, coalitions, and events.
- Determine and build brand ambassador infrastructure and strategy including organizing staff, board, volunteers, and external partners to speak to programming impact to increase support of GirlForward.
- Manage the Girls Like Us Zine creation including engaging participants in overall creation strategy, collecting submissions, designing, distributing, and seeking new ways to engage young people in the creation of content.
Internal Communications 5%
- Ensure all staff and board are aware of relevant events, campaigns, and overall communications strategy.
- Create materials to support all functions of the organization and ensure all materials, documents, and presentations adhere to communications standards.
- At least 5 years of nonprofit or private sector professional experience. Ideally in communications, marketing, design, brand strategy, public relations, and/or public-facing roles.
- Education in communications, public relations, design, or nonprofit management is a great bonus but not required.
- Demonstrated experience in storytelling that inspires, educates, and brings people together around a mission, vision, and cause.
- Demonstrated experience with communications and web design tools such as Adobe Design, Canva, Mailchimp, and Squarespace as well as social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English is required; the ability to communicate in Arabic, Burmese, Farsi, Dari, or Swahili is a plus.
- Must approach work from a critical multicultural and anti-oppression lens guided by cultural humility and a commitment to social justice.
- Commitment to shared values of collaboration, seeking joy, centering girl leadership, anti-oppression, cultural humility, and community power.
- Must believe in the transformative power of mentoring, education, and the power of girls to create positive change in the world!
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary Range $45,000- $50,000
- Unlimited Paid Time-Off including 12 federal holidays, Sick Time, and3 floating holidays..
- Flexible Work Day and flexible scheduling
- Hybrid Remote and In-person work. 60% of the work week in person at our beautiful program center located in Edgewater.
- Health, Dental, Vision Insurance offered with 75% coverage paid by GirlForward
Work must be performed in or near Chicago, IL. Work is primarily performed in an office setting but also requires community-based work in Chicago, IL, and Austin, TX. Travel to Austin, TX is required as needed with at least one trip per year.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit an application via this form no later than June 30th, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The start date is negotiable but we are hoping for a start in late July or early August. You can also access the application via this link: https://forms.gle/as1orPPHvRJaCzyn6
Please direct questions to the hiring committee via email email@example.com.
GirlForward is dedicated to building a multicultural work environment where all intersectional identities are valued. GirlForward encourages women, people of color, and those who identify as immigrants or refugees to apply. GirlForward is an equal opportunity employer and consideration for employment is made without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.