The Center for Applied Linguistics is a nonprofit organization promoting access, equity and mutual understanding for linguistically and culturally diverse people around the world.
The mission of the Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) is to promote language learning and cultural understanding by serving as a trusted source for research, resources, and policy analysis. Through its work, CAL seeks solutions to issues involving language and culture as they relate to access and equity in education and society around the globe.
This position is remote, however, candidates for this position are preferred to reside within the DC Metro area (DC/Maryland/Virginia) or be willing to relocate to the DC Metro area prior to starting the role.
The Accounting & Contracts Assistant conducts several financial, administrative and customer support tasks within the Finance and Contracts and Grants office. Specific duties of this position include the processing of accounts receivable and payable transactions, responsibility for the record management process and customer and client support functions. In addition, this position supports CAL’s purchase order and contracting program for its consultant management system. This position handles data, issues, and documents that contain sensitive and confidential information.
- Conducts accounts receivable functions including identify and process check deposits through the on-line check deposit system, input incoming ACH and wire deposits, create invoices, and produce and submit A/R reports for posting.
- Conduct routine accounts payable functions by accurately inputting vouchers.
- Maintain the record management system for the Finance office to ensure that files are secure, complete, and readily retrievable, including any required archiving activities.
- Conduct monthly review and follow-up of Aged Accounts Receivables.
- Coordinate several aspects of the consultant contracting process, including issue purchase orders, complete the contracting process and establish financial obligations in CAL’s accounting system.
- Respond to general information requests from employees about general accounting issues.
- Establish and maintain various State licenses, tax filings and vendor registrations.
- Provide support functions for the Finance office, including assistance in preparing PowerPoint presentations.
- Complete other assignments at the direction of the Senior Accountant or Vice President of Finance.
Contacts & Grants Functions
- Conduct the set-up of new projects, billing schedule and project close-out in CAL’s accounting system.
- Maintain Contracts and Grants database with updates of new project and development activities.
- Coordinate several aspects of the Request for Proposal process, including complete required forms, and coordinate submittal.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in a related field and 4+ years of comparable experience.
- Incumbent must possess excellent interpersonal skills, including courteousness and good verbal communications.
- Be detail oriented with a high degree of organization and accuracy.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks and make routine decisions without immediate supervision.
- Must be accurate, efficient, and discrete when handling detailed and often sensitive work assignments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of an automated financial software system; Solomon preferred
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Minimum Salary: $51,434 Annually
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to effectively communicate. The employee may be required to sit or stand in a stationary position 50% of the time. This position constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment. The employee must be able to observe details at close range, including color on a computer screen. CAL adheres to ADA compliance and guidelines as a common practice.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT
The Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CAL complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
CAL expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of CAL employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.