Job Title: Director of Development
Blue Heron Nature Preserve, Inc. seeks a resourceful Director of Development to lead the nonprofit organization’s fundraising efforts. This position will cultivate relationships for an organization with a mission to connect children, teens, adults, and seniors with nature through innovative conservation project, environmental education programs, and environmentally-friendly art exhibitions.
Founded in 2000 by a local educator, Blue Heron Nature Preserve, Inc. promotes, protects, and preserves a wondrous 30-acre tapestry of wetlands, woodlands, riparian creek areas, and meadows with the eponymous name linked by the 3-mile Blueway Trail. The 30-acre Blue Heron Nature Preserve attracts nature enthusiasts across the region as a research lab, outdoor classroom, inspiration and backdrop for creativity, sanctuary for health and wellness, and community hub.
This proven leader will have passion for the environment; interest in thoughtful activation and stewardship of the land; appreciation of diversity, inclusion, and equity to foster stronger organizations and communities; and a joy for donor cultivating a strong pipeline of donors to boost financial support for the Preserve among individuals, corporations, and foundations. Applying strong knowledge and experience with fundraising techniques, the candidate will have proven interpersonal skills to work with the Executive Director, staff, board members, and volunteers while meeting fundraising goals.
The Director of Development will report to Blue Heron Nature Preserve’s Executive Director, and will have the support of a Part-Time Administrative Assistant to assist in fundraising efforts and with donor relations. An ability to work at the Preserve as well as remotely is essential for success. The Director of Development for Blue Heron Nature Preserve, Inc. is a part-time, 28 hour/week position at $36,000-$39,000 annual salary with the opportunity for an annual performance-related bonus. With successful fundraising, we see the Director of Development position as a full-time one in the future.
Benefits for this position currently include three-weeks of paid vacation and stipend for continuing education. Please submit a resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. The Director of Development position is expected to filled by mid-July 2022.
- B.A./B.S. preferred with an emphasis or concentration in business, marketing, public relations or related field
- Lead and execute Blue Heron Nature Preserve’s annual fundraising plan which includes an annual fund mailing, semi-annual fundraising drives, events, developing grant proposals, securing corporate sponsorships and engaging in direct solicitations of support
- Expand Blue Heron Nature Preserve’s base of support among foundation, corporate and individual donors
- Coordinate all fundraising efforts working closely with the Executive Director, staff, Board members, and partners
- Meet with prospective and current donors to establish and strengthen relationships
- Manage the fundraising database (Neon CRM)
- Develop and maintain a prospect management table to support prospect review and promote shared accountability
- Organize annual Earth Day event and develop additional fundraising special events
- Support Marketing & Communications staff in developing fundraising messages for newsletters, public relation efforts and printed collateral
- Manage a structured gift recognition program
- Perform other related duties as requested
- 3-5 years’ experience with professional fundraising for annual campaigns, major gifts, and individual, corporate, and philanthropic financial support.
- Proficient with a donor management software
- Self-starter with a positive attitude, confidence, capacity to initiate donor calls and visits, and interest in helping communities across the Atlanta with our initiatives
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment with staff and board members
- Must have a passion for environmental causes and embrace the mission of the Preserve.
- Solid organizational skills
- Strong writing, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite