Code2040 is a small (8-person) nonprofit organization working to achieve proportional representation for Black and Latinx people in the tech industry. Code2040 activates, connects, and mobilizes the largest racial equity community in tech to dismantle the structural barrier that prevents the full participation and leadership of Black and Latinx technologists in the innovation economy.
Through events, trainings, early-career programs, and knowledge sharing, Code2040 equips Black and Latinx technologists and their allies with the tools, connections, and care they need to advocate for and achieve racial equity in the tech industry.
“I joined Code2040 because I was committed to Black liberation--starting with my own--and extending to my family and community. I’m thrilled that we’re in a position to grow our team, and I hope we will find others seeking growth, liberation, and joy.” - Mimi Fox Melton, CEO
Code2040’s work environment is rooted in transparent leadership, collaboration, flexibility, and relationships that allow team members to show up authentically and work autonomously.
- Commitment to Racial Equity: Our focus is the full participation and leadership of Black and Latinx people in the innovation economy and commitment to these communities is a must. You are an expert racial equity advocate and can deliver constructive feedback and thoughtful questions to prospective partners. You have a clear understanding as to how traditional non profit approaches to earned revenue can undermine racial equity, and are ready to demonstrate how these values have translated to your work in team management, sales implementation, partnership building and vetting, and revenue generation.
- Leadership and Collaboration: You value an equitable distribution of power and non-hierarchical structures in all areas of your work. Whether that be in the management of your own team, the relationship building process with prospective partners, or the collaboration with other departments. You’ll push your team to be the best versions of themselves, providing genuine investment in their growth and constructive feedback on how to sustain their responsibilities. You are constantly searching for feedback, problem-solving and advocating for the needs of your team.
Code2040 is looking for a relationship-oriented and analytics-driven Company Engagement Manager, looking to work at the intersection of technology and racial equity. The Company Engagement Manager will be our prospective partners’ first point of contact, and is the person who will build and maintain relationships with companies seeking partnership opportunities with the organization. This position will sit within the programs department, and will drive a critical organization function by managing earned revenue opportunities and prospective partnership relationship building.
The ideal candidate is a skilled racial equity advocate who can clearly communicate the equitable distribution of power required to become a Code2040 partner. You are able to facilitate thoughtful conversations to understand where a company is in their racial equity journey, and are keen on ensuring that the partnerships built are accountable to the programmatic needs and values of the organization. You are able to excel in an earned revenue role that centers relationship building and accountability to programs over revenue-centered “bottom lines.” This person will report to the Vice President of Programs. While this position does not currently have any direct reports, there is a possibility of supervision responsibilities in the future.
Key Priorities and Responsibilities
- Partnership Building and Communications (30%)
- Collaborate across team to develop innovative storytelling techniques that clearly name the value of Code2040’s programs and the investment in an equitable distribution of power required from company partners
- Implement partner engagement and outreach strategies to keep companies informed of, and help them prepare for, upcoming partnership opportunities
- Provide direct feedback and facilitate thoughtful, and sometimes difficult, conversations around racial equity, systemic oppression, and power to clearly communicate the vision of the program and commitment required from company partners
- Direct Partner Stewardship and Delegation (40%):
- Conduct an initial assessment of all incoming partnership requests to ensure they meet the organization’s minimum partnership criteria
- Delegate prospective partners to appropriate team member to begin intentional vetting and partnership opportunity exploration process
- Manage and steward relationships with 30+ prospective partners that thoroughly vetts their fit with established partnership criteria, supports the company’s exploration process of partnership opportunities, and ultimately matches them with the appropriate partnership to commit to
- Earned Revenue Operations (10%)
- Design and implement reporting system that tracks earned revenue projections, goals and partnership needs throughout the duration of active sales cycles
- Oversee Earned Revenue systems including the Company Relationship Management database, prospective partnership email listserv, data and finance systems, and contractual documents hub
- Review Earned Revenue data to ensure accuracy for reporting and strategic planning needs
- Collaborate with Development and Finance offices to reconcile revenue data as requested
Ideal Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Invested in Speaking Truth to Power: You thrive sitting in difficult conversations (especially around race) because you believe that anyone can change, and know that our programs depend on partners that are accountable. You speak compassionately while knowing that being candid pushes individuals and companies to be the best version of themselves.
- Relationship-oriented: You are a person who loves building authentic relationships. You take pride in cultivating and maintaining the relationships and people around you.
- Experienced manager: You have 3-5 years of experience managing a small team. You’re able to manage multiple sales cycles and partnership opportunities, and properly delegate work in ways that hone in on the skills of your team and challenge their growth.
- Experience in non-profit industry, and a working knowledge of the technology industry. You have managed revenue streams for nonprofits before, and know enough about the technology industry to research / quickly pick up on industry trends.
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized, with exceptional project and time management skills. Adept at managing the details of simultaneous revenue cycles, work flows, and multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Proactive communication skills that demonstrate the trends you are spotting and the strategy you are developing to ensure the best outcomes for the programs, your team and the partnerships you are building. You are consistently advocating for the resources or insight that you need to develop a strong partnership process.
- Comfort with ambiguity in your role understanding that working within a small organization, and managing an even smaller team, within a role that is relatively new will require patience, flexibility, and proactive communication.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time position with an anticipated salary range of between $79,000 - $85,0000 depending on experience. Code2040 offers a generous employer-paid benefits package, including 100% covered health, vision and dental plans.
- Access to free medical, dental, and vision insurance with the option to upgrade dental coverage for an additional fee.
- 100% medical deductible coverage
- Free annual access to One Medical with PPO, Kindbody with PPO, and talkspace.
- Free life insurance policy with $50,000 coverage with the option to invest in additional coverage
- Access to 401K with end-of-year match dependent on the financial health of the organization
- 15 vacation days in the first year with 2+ days added every year
- 2+ weeks off during the holiday season dependent on organizational health
- $1500 work-from-home office setup stipend upon starting your position, $500 every year after that
- $1500/year for professional development
- Code2040’s operations are 100% remote and its team is located across the United States, primarily in California.
We believe great benefits make work better. At Code2040, employees are offered equity-centered benefits that strive to meet people where they are during the full spectrum of where life may take them at any given moment. At Code2040, we prioritize mutual investment into each other's professional development, personal growth, and overall well being.
Commitment to Diversity: Code2040 strongly encourages applications from individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, Latinx or other People of Color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, people who are gender expansive, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds. Code2040 is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a staff, board and volunteer base reflective of the communities we serve and that enhances our vision to develop an equitable distribution of power in the work that we do.
Code2040 does not discriminate on the basis of class, race, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, political ideology, age, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability.
COVID-19 Response: We at Code2040 recognize that the COVID-19 pandemic has disproportionately negative impacts on Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, immigrants, parents, caregivers, frontline workers, and others. While this position is a full-time position, Code2040 will work with the final candidate to develop a schedule and workload that is manageable for them and their family during the pandemic, including reduced hours and working remotely until the pandemic is better controlled. We also offer paid sick leave for caregivers and those directly affected by COVID-19. We acknowledge these are unprecedented times and seek to remove barriers that would prevent anyone disproportionately affected by the pandemic from applying.
Working conditions: This role requires long periods of time spent at a computer.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: Excepting any undue hardship, we gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please reach out to the contact above to request assistance.
The Selection Process:
In an effort to be as transparent as possible in our selection process as well as to help expedite bringing new staff on board, our selection process typically spans 4-8 weeks across three interviews (phone screening → competency deep dive interview → final round panel interview → references → extend offer).
How to Apply:
Our organization values relationships, feedback and celebration. As an organization, we sit in monthly practice centered around relationship building and ritual. We also practice active celebration of ourselves and others. You will thrive in this organization if you are:
- Able and willing to engage in both receiving and giving direct feedback and celebration.
- Grounded in a growth mindset for yourself and others.
- Able to sit in discomfort, curiosity and vulnerability during hard conversations.
- Committed to growing your communication, conflict resolution, and advocacy skills for the sake of building strong relationships both internally and externally.
If this resonates with you, please submit a cover letter with your resume or simply answer the application questions on Lever when submitting your resume/CV.
A few tips for responding to our cover letter questions: Don’t just repeat your resume; we’ll read that too. Your cover letter is your chance to shine and connect your past experience with what we’re looking for. Tell us:
- The unique mix of skills and experience you will bring to the role and our team.
- How will you thrive in the role; what have you done in the past that demonstrates you can be successful?
- What about Code2040’s mission excites you?
- Why do you want to work with a passionate team committed to mobilizing the largest racial equity community in tech?What experience do you have in working with or volunteering for an organization that does racial equity work?
We encourage all applicants to review our values and history to learn more who we are and what drives us.