Position Title: Gift Compliance Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
ABOUT SAN FRANCISCO GENERAL HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation (SFGHF) is a dynamic and growing nonprofit fundraising organization dedicated to promoting equity in healthcare for all at the Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG). Zuckerberg San Francisco General is the only provider of trauma (Level 1) and 24‐hour psychiatric emergency services for 1.5 million people in San Francisco and northern San Mateo counties.
A comprehensive medical center, Zuckerberg San Francisco General provides quality health care with compassion and respect to 100,000 inpatient and 500,000 outpatient visits per year, including some of San Francisco’s most vulnerable. In addition, Zuckerberg San Francisco General is one of the nation’s top tertiary academic medical centers conducting clinical training and research. In 2016, Zuckerberg San Francisco General opened a new acute care hospital and the Foundation concluded a successful multi‐million‐dollar capital campaign.
This candidate will join a diverse and inclusive Foundation staff at an exciting time as it continues to grow and advance public health in San Francisco. The Foundation and the Hospital are proud to have racially diverse staffs and the Hospital serves a racially-diverse population. At both SFGHF and ZSFG, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion principles inform and guide our work and are built into our strategic plans. Candidates should be committed to equity and inclusion on multiple fronts (e.g. race, disability, neurodiversity, LGBTQ+ identity, etc.). BIPOC candidates are warmly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information about the Foundation and Zuckerberg San Francisco General, please visit sfghf.org.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Donor Relations, this new operations position is responsible for creating and maintaining crucial new processes and serves as the primary contact for Zuckerberg San Francisco General and internal SFGH Foundation staff to ensure compliance with the City of San Francisco’s gift acceptance policies and related administrative requirements. To this end, and with a premium placed on collaboration, the Gift Compliance Manager works closely with SFGH Foundation fundraisers and finance staff, and liaises effectively with Hospital, Department of Public Health, and UCSF employees to monitor and facilitate proper gift hygiene and adherence to City and UCSF requirements, including any dictums put forth by San Francisco’s Sunshine Ordinance. The successful candidate will establish buy-in and build relationships with internal and external colleagues to gather, coordinate and disseminate information and communications between all parties.
This is a full-time, exempt position housed within the organization’s Development department.
FINANCE, BUDGET, AND PLANNING (45%)
- Ensure adherence to the City’s accept and expend requirements and formalize SFGHF’s nascent practices related to fund management activity, in order to improve policies and procedures to optimize accuracy, efficiency, and compliance
- In partnership with SFGHF Finance department and ZSFG colleagues, develop budgets for priority fundraising initiatives
- Liaise with Finance colleagues to establish new funds as needed for gifts from individuals
- Partner with fundraisers and database manager to track and report on funding progress toward various revenue goals
- Coordinate SFGHF annual submission for the hospital’s portion of the City and County of San Francisco’s annual budgeting process
- Offer innovative approaches to problem solving and develop solutions to accept and expend issues in all phases of the gift cycle
- Assess significant and/or unique contract requirements, special provisions, and/or terms and conditions to ensure compliance with appropriate regulations and funding parameters
GIFT GOVERNANCE (45%)
- Serve as the primary point of contact for ZSFG’s Grants and Gifts Analyst and other Hospital, Department of Public Health, and UCSF representatives on matters pertaining to the accept and expend process and other compliance matters related to gifts and grants
- Provide informed guidance to internal teams on accept and expend activities, best practices, and compliance
- As needed, perform analysis for monitoring of Equity and Innovation Grants through SFGHF
- Develop and administer contractual agreements and/or grant monitoring and administration
- Analyze criteria to ensure compliance with Sunshine Ordinance standards
- Utilizing the donor database and other tools, assist fundraisers with tracking interim and final gift report compliance
- Provide support and guidance to project teams during gift execution to ensure full compliance with government regulations
- Ensure that gift deliverables and agreements are executed, including timely communication to relevant parties
- Assist with approvals or electronic/wet signatures as needed
- Act as a centralized resource for Development grants and gifts
- Maintain systems, processes, and budgets as needed
- Work closely with both the Individual and Institutional gifts teams within the Development department
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
Some combination of the experience listed below is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. You are encouraged to apply even if you do not think you meet all of the qualifications. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Critical ability to operate independently and take initiative as a self-starter
- Experience with contracts, grants management, or compliance a plus
- Interest in building processes and procedures from the ground up
- Strong, collaborative communicator with ability to work with different stakeholders
- Comfort with autonomy and establishing new workflows and deliverables
- Critical ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to track multiple project timelines from start to finish
- Detail-oriented with an emphasis on organization and accuracy
- Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint
COMPENSATION, APPLICATION, and EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation offers a competitive compensation package based upon experience. The annual salary range for this position is $70,000 to $80,000. Compensation also includes medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as professional development opportunities, 403(b) retirement plan, life & AD&D insurance, commuter discounts, and vacation.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with your first and last name and Gift Compliance Manager in the subject line. Please refrain from telephone calls, visits, or emails (other than submissions) to the Foundation directly.
This is a hybrid role with partial days onsite and partial days working remotely. As the Foundation is housed within a City of San Francisco building and because we work closely in tandem with our Hospital partners, all onsite San Francisco General Hospital Foundation employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except in cases of a verified medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, and only then if it causes no undue hardship to the organization or is otherwise mandated by state or federal laws).
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation is committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against individuals based on race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, age, height, weight, physical or mental disability, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, the San Francisco General Hospital Foundation will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.