Pulmonary hypertension is a chronic and life-changing lung disease that can lead to right heart failure if left untreated. The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) supports and engages all communities affecting and affected by pulmonary hypertension, including patients, caregivers, doctors, nurses, and other health professionals.
PHA is the oldest and largest pulmonary hypertension association in the world. Founded in 1991 by four women diagnosed with this rare disease gathered around a kitchen table, PHA has grown to a 16,000-member nonprofit organization today. We offer high-level patient and medical education, raise awareness of pulmonary hypertension in the general public and medical communities, advocate for legislation, support research, and help patients connect with others to end their isolation. PHA has a staff of 36 and an overall annual budget of $8.6 million. For more information about PHA, visit the website at PHAssociation.org.
PHA is seeking a collaborative and creative leader to serve as Vice President of Development and Industry Relations. Reporting directly to the CEO, the VP will be responsible for strategizing and directing all philanthropic fundraising efforts, with the overarching goal of maximizing financial support for PHA and its priority programs. As an inspirational leader to development staff, executive team members and volunteers, the VP will develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising program, translate PHA’s mission, programs, and patient stories into a compelling case for support, and secure the financial resources necessary to carry the mission forward.
- Collaboratively develop and implement a comprehensive overall strategy and budget for fundraising with an initial goal of $6 million annually.
- Manage, mentor and nurture a team of six development professionals and oversee the diverse range of fundraising initiatives, including individual, corporate and foundation giving, special events, and direct response.
- Grow industry and corporate partnerships that provide programmatic and sponsorship support, which are currently the largest source of funding for PHA.
- Grow the major gift (currently $10,000+) program, developing the prospect pool, devising cultivation strategies, soliciting gifts, and personally maintaining an active portfolio of prospects and donors.
- Serve as principal liaison with the board development committee, inspiring and empowering them to be partners in helping to meet PHA’s fundraising goals.
- Build and nurture relationships with key constituencies.
- Be a conscientious steward of donor support, including timely and thoughtful acknowledgment of gifts, accurate accounting and donor records, appropriate recognition, and diligent reporting and follow-up about the impact of their gifts.
- As a key member of the senior executive team, work collaboratively with colleagues to further the overall mission of the organization.
Professional Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- Passion for mission-driven fundraising and deep compassion for the people PHA serves.
- 10+ years of fundraising experience, with at least five years managing development staff and programs in excess of $1 million in revenue annually. Prior experience with a health care or disease-focused organization and/or national corporate sponsorship solicitation is a strong plus.
- Demonstrated success in inspiring, managing, and mentoring staff and volunteers.
- Collaborative and flexible team player.
- Exceptional interpersonal, listening, communication, and networking skills, treating everyone with respect, kindness, and humility.
- Strategic, creative, out-of-the-box thinker.
- Previous experience with donor management software. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
- Results-driven self-starter.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
Location & Compensation
PHA is headquartered in Silver Springs, MD, but the VP of Development and Industry Relations could be located anywhere through a remote work arrangement. The salary range for this position is $135,000 to $160,000 annually. PHA offers a competitive employee benefits package that includes health, dental, prescription and vision insurance, a health reimbursement arrangement, flexible spending account, vacation, sick leave, federal holidays, and a 403b retirement plan.
This position requires heavy travel, up to 25% of time (pandemic conditions permitting). This includes frequent weekends, especially in the spring and fall of the year. Availability and flexibility to travel are a must.
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, fostering a workplace that celebrates diversity and inclusion and is free from discrimination and harassment. Each applicant will be considered for employment, regardless of his/her/their age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, uniformed servicemember status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The search for the Vice President of Development and Industry Relations is being conducted for PHA by The Moran Company. To apply for this position, submit cover letter and resume to Steven Byers through the secure online portal at MoranCompany.com. For best chance of consideration, please submit your application before February 18, 2022. Questions may be directed to Steve.Byers(at)MoranCompany.com.