How you will contribute to our Purpose:
The YMCA of Austin is a dynamic, equitable force in the community that helps people of all backgrounds improve their total wellbeing and quality of life. Founded in 1953 and anchored in three Central Texas counties, the Y is a $40 million community enterprise that serves nearly 100,000 people annually through eight centers. We also provide afterschool education and care at more than 70 licensed campuses in four school districts. Unlike any other organization in the region, the Austin Y has the unique ability to welcome, educate and elevate all, and is committed to creating innovative programs, places…and people.
The Vice President, Child Development & Education is a transformative leader responsible for ensuring high-quality teachers, youth development team members, and programs that make a positive difference in the lives of children. You will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for all Extend-a-Care YMCA (EAC Y) programs in the areas of Out-of-School Time (Afterschool and Day Camp) and Early Education (Preschool and Early Learning programs). The Extend-A-Care YMCA is a result of a 2020 merger between the YMCA of Austin and Extend-A-Care organization, now the largest single provider of out-of-school programs in Central Texas. The EAC YMCA serves:
- After School: 5000 children on 94 campuses pre-pandemic; 2500 children on 57 campuses in 2021.
- Early Education/Preschool: 194 children on 12 campuses pre-pandemic; 147 children on 10 campuses in 2021.
- Summer Day Camp: 3500 children in 32-day camps pre-pandemic; 2476 children in 26-day camps in 2021.
- Total Staffing: 400 team members pre-pandemic; 251 team members in 2021.
You will implement a blend of both strategic-level thinking and a hands-on approach to day-to-day management of people and programs. You will serve as the subject matter expert in child development for the YMCA of Austin, a thought leader in the Greater Austin community, and the primary relationship manager for key stakeholders and external partners. Under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer, you will be the key leader in driving a transformative Y experience by energizing employees and volunteers, collaborating with partners, inspiring donors, and stimulating growth and innovation.
Salary: $116,000- $130,000 per year, depending on experience. Full benefits package including dental, vision, health insurance, and employer-matched retirement plan upon reaching eligibility. You will receive a free Family Membership, twenty-five days of paid time off, and more!
What are the details?
Performance Achievement & Results (25%)
- Ultimately accountable for EAC Y performing at high levels to ensure a transformative Y Experience through high-quality program delivery and achieving organizational objectives
- Models inclusive management behaviors and embraces all dimensions of diversity – building strong teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to our mission
- Responsible for hiring, coaching, and managing all direct reports and ensuring alignment with association people practices for all positions within their organizational structure
- Closely collaborates with the Senior Leadership Team to deliver on all program goals
- Develops the necessary systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by the programs
- Provides leadership in the development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture, and supporting staff in driving toward results
- Implements a goal-based management approach (OKR methodology) and ensures EAC Y is actively working towards supporting organizational level objectives and key results
- Responsible for successful EAC Y Strategic Plan metrics, Net-Promoter Scores, and Objectives and Key Results (OKRs). Leads Cycle Check-ins and the Annual Check-In with the EAC Y team to ensure progress with OKRs, provide ongoing coaching and feedback, and discuss development opportunities
Program & Fiscal Management (25%)
- Supervises the implementation of program development, design, implementation, and evaluation of new programs and initiatives
- Enhances participant enrollment through new and existing programs, by offering progressive and innovative programs while also developing programs to meet the needs of a diverse community
- Oversees the operational growth through program expansion, program participant recruitment and retention, pricing strategies, new site development, and collaborations
- Maintains quality control and standards to guarantee faithfulness to the Y’s mission and a commitment to YMCA standards
- Ensures completion of all local and state registry requirements, licensing and accreditation approvals, including monitoring and managing the DHS application and renewal process.
- Oversees the process for statistical, analytical, and narrative reports related to Child Development,
- Develops, manages, and monitors the program and overall EAC Y operating budget and meet or exceed budgeted targets, which includes reviewing monthly finance reports, identifying variances, and making appropriate adjustments
- Ensures the operational growth through program expansion, program participant recruitment and retention, pricing strategies, new site development, and collaborations
Community Y Brand & Relationship Management (20%)
- Develops and maintain collaborative relationships with schools, community agencies, and other organizations. Implement moves management plan with school relationship building
- Develops and maintains relationships with state child care licensing agency, school administration, parent groups, and other organizations and agencies related to assigned programs
- Builds bridges within the community so that all segments of society have access to the Y
- Manages relationships with key district stakeholders, community leaders, and funders
- Effectively communicates community benefit and the Y’s impact for all stakeholders (e.g., staff, volunteers, members, and community leaders) develops positive working and collaborative relationships with other organizations, businesses, and governmental entities
- Enhances the Y’s reputation in the community by engaging with partners, businesses, school districts, and other non-profit organizations that are invested in strengthening community
- Ensures EAC Y execution on all aspects of association marketing strategies and campaigns
Board Engagement & Philanthropy (20%)
- Recruits, develops, and maintains highly effective Boards of Advisors, following the by-laws of the YMCA of Austin
- Supports board chair in facilitating an engaging and productive board meeting experience.
- Drives successful fund-raising and financial development, working with the Philanthropy Department to meet cycle and annual objectives
- Meets every cycle with Chief Operating Officer and the Philanthropy Department to ensure EAC Y progress to the fundraising goal
- Leads strong board/volunteer and staff participation
Association & Innovation Initiatives (10%)
- Consistently identifies community needs and innovates new child development programs
- Leads and models design thinking and social entrepreneurship practices to develop innovative solutions to community needs, community and association-wide opportunities, and challenges.
- Works to master, demonstrate and coach others in design thinking and social entrepreneurship to establish a strong culture of social innovation
- Serves as project teams for assigned innovation projects designed to incubate new services, and/or improve systems and processes
- Serves on Association-level impact teams, task forces, and/or committees as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the Purpose:
- Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Early Childhood Education/Education, Human Services, or Social Services or other related field. Master’s Degree strongly preferred
- Minimum of ten years of progressive management experience in Out of School Time programs, Early Childhood Educations programs, preferably in a YMCA or other nonprofit agency
- Experience in staff development, staff supervision and development, quality assurance and implementation, and fiscal management and budgeting
- Experience and knowledge of state and local licensing and accreditation agencies
- Experience in developing and scaling child development curriculum, pedagogy, and programs to multiple sites
- You’re a Cause-Drive Leader – You are effective at:
- Advancing our mission and cause – providing visionary leadership to ensure resources are mobilized to adapt to new challenges and needs in the community
- Building relationships – connecting people to the Y’s cause by developing inclusive relationships, partnerships, and collaborations to co-create solutions to pressing social needs
- Leading operations – ensuring relevance, effectiveness, and sustainability of the organization so we can continue to fulfill our promise to the community
- Developing and inspiring people – supporting the holistic development of self and others so everyone can embrace the Y’s cause, sustain our culture, and inspire others to action.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. The
YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training