TITLE: Director of Development
LOCATION: Milpitas, CA
HOURS: Full-time, exempt
COMPENSATION: $90,000 annually, competitive benefits, paid time off
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
ABOUT TEEN SUCCESS, INC.
Teen Success, Inc. builds pathways to prosperity for two generations—young mothers and their children. We believe that education is the key factor in breaking the intergenerational cycle of poverty faced by young families. Teen Success, Inc. empowers young mothers to complete high school and persist through post-secondary education and nurture their child’s positive development to ensure the success of the whole family. Our two-generation approach involves partnering with young mothers to heal trauma, build skills and a future mindset, and address the barriers they face to being successful in school and in life.
The young women Teen Success, Inc. works with are low-income, 94% are women of color, and many are from immigrant families. In addition to the challenges and stigma associated with being a young mother, Teen Success, Inc. members are faced with further complexities including housing instability; limited access to healthcare and reproductive health information; emotional and physical violence in their homes, relationships, and communities; lack of access to affordable childcare; and racism and discrimination.
Teen Success, Inc. has supported over 1,600 families since our founding in 2011. Every year, over 85% of our program participants graduate from high school, as compared to 38% of teen mothers nationally. The children of the young mothers we work with are thriving as well, with close to 90% meeting their linguistic milestones which is setting them up to be kindergarten ready.
Teen Success, Inc. currently operates programs in the following areas of California: San Jose, Fresno, Sacramento and Monterey County. Teen Success, Inc. is headquartered in Milpitas, California.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development creates and leads Teen Success Inc.’s annual fundraising strategies to grow the organization and broaden our base of investors- including foundations, individual donors, corporations, and government contracts. The Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and Fund Development Committee to develop and implement an annual fundraising plan that is creative, diverse, ambitious, and grounded in best practices in the field.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with the Executive Director to meet and grow fundraising goals for major gifts from Foundations and Government
- Manage a portfolio of individual donors and prospects using cultivation and solicitation tools including one on one meetings, written communications, and small events to engage individuals with Teen Success, Inc’s work
- Research prospective donors and collaborates with The Board of Directors to identify prospective donors; provides information to the Board of Directors on development activities; supports/enables Board of Directors to connect as available with prospective donors
- Support and partner with the Communications and Marketing staff member to ensure consistent messaging for fundraising letters, donor newsletters, fundraising donation pages and special campaigns
- Collaborates with the Communications and Marketing staff member to develop outreach materials for current and prospective funders, including regular and personalized updates.
- Coordinate small events during the year for prospective and current funders and supporters,
- Track all key fundraising and donor information and maintain records, reports, and dashboard in Salesforce; Using Salesforce to analyze trends in donor giving and campaign ROI to improve donor retention and acquisition
- Lead all donor communications, including donor cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and acknowledgement.
- Lead the creation and implementation of the annual fundraising event (e.g. Spring Luncheon)
- Manage and oversee contract Grant Manager who manages the grants process for current and prospective donors, all on-time as per deadlines, including prospecting, proposal writing, reporting, and ongoing relationship-building
- Work with Communications and Marketing staff member, Advocates, Regional Directors, Board, and partners to ensure messaging is on brand with our empowerment/key branding areas
- Track, report and evaluate progress towards fundraising goals.
- Reconcile gifts with finance director quarterly.
Prepare and monitor fund development and communications budget.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Passionate about Teen Success, Inc.’s mission.
- At least 3-5 years of demonstrated experience as a successful fundraising professional, or related experience.
- Knowledgeable about fundraising best practices, including community-centric fundraising
- Experience with Salesforce or other donor database software
- Be mission-driven and passionate about our work
- Interest in improving performance to increase impact
- Ability to work independently and make both strategic and tactical decisions.
- Demonstrated success in acquiring, developing, and retaining donor or client relationships resulting in significant support for an organization.
- Excellent communication skills: oral and written.
- Demonstrated team player with the ability to work collaboratively within diverse groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to build positive, professional relationships with diverse colleagues.
To apply, please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications and your resume to email@example.com. Be sure to include the job title Director of Development in your subject line. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible; applications will be reviewed as they are received. Priority will be given to applications received by January 31, 2022; open until filled.
For more information about Teen Success, Inc. please visit our website: www.teensuccess.org.
For details on our competitive benefits package please visit www.teensuccess.org/careers. Teen Success, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.