Position summary: Support the overall vision, mission, and mandates for the company.
Participant is the leading media company dedicated to entertainment that brings social awareness and engages audiences to participate in positive social change. Founded in 2004 by Jeff Skoll, Participant’s content combines the power of a good story well told with opportunities for real world impact around the most pressing global issues of our time. Film and TV highlights include: Spotlight, Roma, An Inconvenient Truth, American Factory, RBG, When They See Us, Just Mercy, John Lewis: Good Trouble and Judas and the Black Messiah.
We are looking for a campaign leader to help bolster the impact of our films via our campaigns on social issues with a specific focus on racial justice and equity.
- The VP, Social Impact responsibilities will cover a wide range of activities for impact campaigns overseeing activities including early research and strategy design to campaign launch, campaign management and measurement and everything in between. While this role will have a focus on racial justice and equity film titles, the position may also be asked to campaign films beyond those categories.
- A typical day for the VP, Campaigner would look like: leading a team huddle on on-going campaigns and moving action items, developing (or revising) a draft campaign strategy for yet-to-be-released film, building trust with film distributors and filmmakers, connecting with Executive leadership to ensure the campaign direction is aligned with company approach to the film launch, leading strategy development with impact partners and maintaining high leverage relationships with key movement leaders, collecting and reading insights on issue and/or campaigning best practices from the field to apply to the campaign work and trouble-shooting daily challenges, including risk-management and team cohesion.
Team Management and Development
- Thought leadership with the overall SI Leadership team to share responsibility in developing team belonging and inclusivity
- Lead Social Impact campaign teams to achieve company and campaign goals
- Manage direct reports with a focus on their professional development and leadership
- Own the development of the overall impact campaign strategy in partnership with a cross-functional campaign team ensuring work aligns to the company goals and using proven tactics that seek to create real-world impact
- Develop, draft, edit, and present internal strategy materials and be able to rapidly respond and lead based on the news cycle
- Lead issue-based research to thoroughly understand the subject matter, context, and potential partner landscape to determine how Participant can make a unique contribution to the causes highlighted by our content
- Manage campaign budgets to align with goals
- Contribute insights to select content projects in development, and/or support the greenlight process based on agreed-upon social impact criteria for racial justice and equity themed titles
Own decision making on campaign partner selection, ensuring that selected partners are mission-aligned and meet Participant and/or film distributor criteria
Manage high-touch or priority external relationships as it relates to the social impact campaigns, including Distributors, filmmakers and non-profits and NGOs
- Lead the execution of impact campaigns that leverage Participant’s issue-themed content around racial justice and equity to achieve social impact goals, in collaboration with a cross-functional campaign team
- Deliver project management systems and processes to communicate timelines and keep projects on track
- Oversee ongoing tracking of goals and data, as well as campaign budgets and spending, to ensure projects are meeting highest of standards
- Identify and manage campaign communication needs and opportunities for senior leadership, the wider organization and to external partners via presentations, memos, etc.
- Collaborate with Distribution and Marketing teams to effectively communicate plans to film studio partners to maximize opportunities for impact, leverage impact partnerships and coordinate efforts
12+ years relevant experience in social impact campaigning, leading on strategy development, campaign execution and delivering results through lens of strategic measurement to maximize opportunities while simultaneously anticipating risks
A passion for film, television, entertainment, community building, and advocacy
Extensive experience with equity/racial justice issues and landscape within the U.S. plus experience in campaigns focused on diversity, equity and inclusion
Track record of creating a team culture of professional growth through developmental planning and tracking
Solution-oriented, project management experience knowing when to up-level challenges
Effective written and verbal communicator with ability to translate how the company's work impacts the bigger picture, instilling a sense of higher purpose for teams' work and impact
A trusted partner among colleagues, collaborating within the department and across the organization
Ability to travel as needed, when deemed safe by Participant and local officials
Bonus: Asana and Salesforce proficiency
How Participant supports the development of their employees?
Quarterly check-ins with a focus on the future and professional development, job leveling skills matrix for all levels, professional development program and company training.
- 401(k) Savings and Retirement Plan
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Life Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Bereavement
- Energy Car Loan
- Solar Panel Loan
- Cell phone stipend
- Fitness Reimbursement
- Employee Gift Matching for donations to 501(3)(c)
Participant is an equal opportunity employer. This means we are committed to recruiting, training, compensating, and promoting all of our employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender, or any other protected classes set forth under applicable law. As a media company, we are dedicated to reflecting the diversity, and multiculturalism, of our viewers, creators, partners and communities. Inclusion is at the heart of what we do and at the core of our values.