First Book is temporarily working remote due to Covid-19 & has a mandatory vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 510,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the Position:
Do you have a private sector head and a public-sector heart? First Book is looking for a creative, entrepreneurial individual to be the Senior Manager of First Book Research & Insights.
First Book Research & Insights (R&I) is one of the fastest growing elements of First Book’s model. Having aggregated a nationwide network of educators all serving children in need from across a spectrum of sectors including school-based, after-school, early childhood, community programs, faith-based programs and many others, First Book has established a respondent data base of educators and practitioners who are eager to share their insights about the educational barriers facing the children they serve. As a result, First Book has built an in-house market research agency that does qualitative and quantitative research and data analytics, with the goal of elevating the needs and voice of educators serving children in need specifically. Insights derived from this research are often used to both direct the trajectory of First Book as an organization and improve the state of education for children in need.
The ideal candidate would come to First Book Research & Insights with a solid foundation in market research practices and would be ready to join us as a co-builder of this ever-growing element of First Book. This candidate would ideally complement First Book’s existing capabilities and help First Book expand its research and data analytics capacities even further, with an eye toward strategic growth for the organization. The individual will have a high sense of urgency, a strong executive presence, and a history of outstanding client service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• “Client/Partner” Service – the technical research “work”
o Develop research strategies and designs that effectively address partner challenges and goals, and draft resulting research proposals
o Conduct literature reviews, identify validated measures for use in research studies, and develop logic models
o Design, program, test, and administer surveys, and draft focus group protocols
o Conduct descriptive and inferential analyses, customer lifetime value analyses, and thematic coding analysis
o Use administrative data to contextualize and inform R&I research agenda
o Compile findings into partner-ready presentations and present findings internally and to partner “clients”
o Respond to internal data requests (to support proposal development, partner reporting, etc.)
o Support marketing persona development
• Data Storytelling -- Framing the Research Insights
o Work with the marketing team to determine findings that will be compelling and important to press, thought leaders, policy makers, funders, and the First Book Network
o Define and implement methodologies for data visualization
o Support the design and implementation of an annual First Book Signature Study
• Systems Improvements
o Develop and manage an electronic data hub that provides First Bookers seamless access to data they need for funding proposals, partner reports, etc.
o Determine how data analytics can be better used to drive sales growth and implement new processes around this recommendation; adjust as necessary
o Maintain the Salesforce dashboard and manage new report development
o Design, implement, and oversee a process to manage and monitor on-site user analytics for both the fbmarketplace.org and firstbook.org sites
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• Knowledge of Salesforce and Qualtrics a plus
• Demonstrated entrepreneurial skills. An entrepreneurial spirit is a core to First Book’s DNA. Must be a tenacious self-starter.
• Exceptional writing and presentation skills. Must be able to produce creative written content and presentations quickly and under time pressure.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to spark, cultivate, and grow relationships with corporate leaders. Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
• Keen organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to represent First Book in a variety of settings.
• A passion for First Book’s mission that is visible and contagious.
• A sense of humor—this one is required.
• Is a thought leader, stays abreast of trends
• Has a Beginners Mind, always looking for new ways to make things better
• Embodies the values of Trust, Customer Success, Innovation, and Equality
• 5+ years’ experience in qualitative and quantitative market research and data analytics
• 5+ years’ experience in client management
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Hybrid work environment - can work from home and office
• Dental & medical insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Eleven Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org / 202-499-5935.
See what First Book has been up to!: