Kansas City, Missouri
Sertoma, Inc Overview
Sertoma, Inc. is a 501c(3) organization based in Kansas City, Missouri. Sertoma was founded in 1912 and the name is synonymous with Service to Mankind. Sertoma has over 250 clubs operating in the United States and Canada. With a mission to improve the quality of life today for those at risk or impacted by hearing loss through education and support, the organization’s primary focus is on assisting the more than 50 million people with hearing health issues and educating the public on hearing health. Its subsidiary organization, Hearing Charities of America (HCOA) has a Board of 11 and operates a nation-wide project to work with audiologists to provide hearing aids to those unable to afford them. While hearing loss is a primary focus, Sertoma clubs get involved in a wide array of other activities because the purpose of Sertomans is to meet the needs of communities through volunteer service.
Sertoma, Inc has a Board of sixteen, and the Executive Director serves as the Secretary to the Board. It’s unusual for a service club to operate as a 501c(3), but Sertoma does so because the service club and charitable functions were merged. In addition to the Hearing Aid Project operated by HCOA, Sertoma clubs provide a variety of other programs, including scholarships for hard of hearing students and those accepted into hearing focused careers.
Sertoma, Inc has a staff of 10 and owns the headquarters building in south Kansas City. They have an annual budget of approximately $2M and the charitable activities of the organization are supported, in part, by proceeds from an endowment in excess of $10M.
The Executive Director (ED) of Sertoma, Inc. is appointed by the Board of Directors and serves as the Chief Administrative Officer of the Board of Directors of Sertoma, Inc. In addition, the Executive Director serves as the ED of Hearing Charities of America (“HCOA"). The Executive Director has the following management and Board related responsibilities:
- The Executive Director (ED) of Sertoma, Inc. is the executive in charge of the office of Sertoma, Inc and HCOA, which includes the selection/supervision of the employees of Sertoma, Inc., HCOA and all contract/out sourced persons and services.
- As Secretary of Sertoma, Inc., and HCOA the ED shall maintain control of corporate records, and sign all documents issued by Sertoma, Inc. and HCOA.
- The ED is responsible for ensuring that funds received are promptly deposited, that there is proper accounting of revenues and expenses, that an annual budget is prepared and followed, and the ED works with the Board on insuring that requisite audits of Sertoma, Inc and reviews of HCOA are routinely performed.
- The ED shall file with the Board of Directors shortly before the Annual National Convention of Sertoma, Inc. and HCOA an annual report on the state of Sertoma and HCOA and shall make such other reports as directed.
- The ED is to organize and direct Sertoma and HCOA members and employees in the planning and marketing of Sertoma and HCOA programs and services designed to meet the approved goals of Sertoma and HCOA and recommend policies, procedures, programs, and action plans to achieve the growth of the organizations in size and services with a report to the Board of Directors that evaluates the results annually.
- The ED, with the Board, is responsible for conducting fundraising on behalf of Sertoma.
- The ED performs functions related to working with the membership and clubs, supporting regional activities, organizing the annual convention, and designing leadership training.
Board Related Responsibilities:
- The ED shall attend all meetings of the Board of Directors, the Executive Committee and attend all annual national conventions of Sertoma, Inc and HCOA. The ED is expected to attend the annual meetings of the seven regions, schedule permitting.
- The ED serves on the Executive Committee of Sertoma, Inc., the Executive Committee of HCOA, and on the Board of Directors of Sertoma, Inc. as an Ex-Officio member and as Secretary of all Sertoma, Inc. related bodies.
- The Executive Director of Sertoma, Inc. receives for filing and publishes all proposed Amendments to the Articles, Bylaws and Policy Statements of Sertoma, Inc. pursuant to the provisions of those governing documents.
- The Executive Director of Sertoma, Inc. shall be an Active Member in good standing of a Sertoma Club.
Key Attributes Sought
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Nonprofit Management, Organizational Leadership, Business Administration or related area,
- At least 3 to 5 years of nonprofit managerial experience,
- CAE or similar certification preferred, but not required,
- Passion for the Sertoma mission,
- Experience in working with a Board of Directors,
- Understanding of membership organizations,
- Able to fundraise,
- Supportive of work-life balance,
- Team oriented,
- Experience working with a national organization preferred, but not required,
- Strong communication skills—written and oral,
- Good listener/approachable,
- Financial management skills,
- Positive outlook,
- Flexible- can adjust approach depending on the situation,
- Passion for working with volunteers,
- Strategic in approach,
- Able to motivate/excite those around him/her.
Club membership has been declining and the organization needs to develop innovative recruitment, retention and growth strategies that align with the Sertoma mission, culture and priorities. As such, a successful candidate for this position should be equipped to:
- Respond to the financial impact from the loss in membership by exploring ways to diversify revenue sources,
- Explore how to support clubs in responding to the needs in their community, yet firmly connects them with the national organization— “while many clubs, one Sertoma,”
- Work with the Board to develop a long-range strategic plan which supports growth in membership and philanthropy,
- Study the innovative steps taken in 2020 and 2021 (e.g. web based activities) and determine if the lessons learned suggest any opportunities to modify and/or improve the model.
Salary and Benefits
Salary: The starting salary associated with the position will be between $100,000 and $125,000, depending on the selected person’s skill set and prior experience.
Benefits: Medical and dental coverage is available and Sertoma pays 85% of the cost for both the employee and their family. Annual accrual of three (3) weeks for sick leave and vacation. Ten paid holidays. After 12 months of service, contributions equaling 10% of the employee’s annual salary at Sertoma will be contributed to their retirement account each year. Sertoma pays 100% of life insurance, ADD, professional liability and worker’s compensation insurance. Sertoma pays for 100% of required fidelity bond and for the ED’s membership in the Sertoma Club of the Executive Director’s choice. Cell phone is provided and the Executive Director can keep any frequent flyer miles (s)he earns. Assistance with relocation expense is negotiable.
It is the established policy of Sertoma not to discriminate against any individual employee, group of employees, or prospective employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, marital status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, or unfavorable discharge from military service. Sertoma is fully committed to providing equal opportunities in all employment-related activities, including but not limited to: recruiting, hiring, advancement, compensation, training, benefits, transfers, terms of employment, and physical access to facilities within the financial resources of Sertoma. Sertoma will provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. Sertoma will make reasonable accommodations to facilitate any physical or mental disability that interferes with an employee’s ability to perform the essential functions of his/her job to the extent Sertoma is aware of those disabilities. Further, Sertoma will fully comply with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations to guarantee equal employment opportunities.
Questions should be directed to Don Harkins, Senior Search Consultant, the Moran Company: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this position, submit resume and cover letter to Don Harkins, the Moran Company.