About the Organization
Our Mission is to prepare Latino students and families for success through academic and life enrichment programs.
Our Vision that Latino students and families achieve life-long self-sufficiency.
Our Core Values:
Kindness: “Having the ability to speak with love, listen with patience and act with compassion.
Excellence: "Every touch, every time, no exceptions."
Passion: "You can't fake passion."
Team Work: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"
Perseverance: “Grit, the raw endurance, hard work and passion that keeps you going despite obstacles.”
About the Role
LaAmistad is looking for a capable, confident professional reading specialist to join our programming team. This position will report to the Academic Director.
- Assist teachers in recognizing and responding to the multiple needs of the diverse learners in LaAmistad Afterschool.
- Assist teachers in utilizing a variety of on-going, research-based assessment approaches to inform and differentiate instruction.
- Research, teach, and model best practices used to address the needs of those students who struggle with reading and writing.
- Assist with implementing a balanced approach of direct teaching using authentic reading and writing opportunities.
- Work with Academic Director, teachers and administrators to develop and implement appropriate literacy strategies, implementation plans, and assessment tools.
- Assist with program-wide literacy initiatives.
- Provide constructive feedback to teachers in their approach and instruction in reading and writing.
- Demonstrate instructional leadership and professionalism.
- Effectively communicate accurate and up-to-date information to teachers and students in a way that enhances student learning.
- Manage time and resources appropriately.
- Create a positive atmosphere that promotes cooperation with administration, parents, coworkers, and students.
- Demonstrate concern for students’ and teachers’ well-being.
- Embrace and encourage the acceptance of diversity.
- Maintain familiarity with current educational issues.
- Use current technology for instruction and management purposes.
- Be available to consult with parents, students, administration, and peers outside instruction times, as needed.
- Analyze data to target instruction, enhance student learning and inform teacher practice.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Master’s degree in Education preferred
- Exhibit theoretical and research-based knowledge of language acquisition and child development through middle childhood.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience
- Possess or qualify for a Georgia License
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as determined appropriate and acceptable by Executive Director