Job title Deputy Director of Membership
Director of Outreach/Interim Vice President for Strategy
For over 40 years, AFJ’s strength has been rooted in our membership of over 130 organizations, diverse in mission but united in their commitment to advancing justice and democracy. The Deputy Director of Membership joins the AFJ team as we seek to strengthen and expand our engagement with and services for member organizations, as well as launch new programs to ensure we are collaborating with and responsive to our diverse membership.
The Deputy Director of Membership, under the guidance of the Director of Outreach and working closely across departments, will lead the strategy and direction of the overall membership program. Collaborating with all AFJ program communications, and development teams, the Deputy Director of Membership will ensure member organizations are substantively engaged in AFJ/AFJ Action programs, evaluate, and identify new programs and services to offer, strengthen communications, oversee annual dues solicitation and renewals, and grow the membership in scope and size.
This role is anticipated to start in January 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct cross-organizational programming, communications, and operational strategies to deepen relationships with AFJ member organizations, grow membership, identify opportunities for member program to further organizational priorities, and strengthen dues/renewals processes;
- Work with Director of Outreach to set priorities for expansion of membership and member programs, leading recruitment including supporting program staff in identifying and cultivating potential members;
- Responsible for staff, including but not limited to managing Associate(s)/Senior Associate(s) and interns, hiring and ensuring staff is empowered and supported in meeting team and organizational goals as well as growing in their responsibilities and maximizing professional development;
- Collaborate across AFJ/AFJ Action teams to proactively integrate members into Justice, Bolder Advocacy, Outreach, Communications, and Development programs, advocacy and events;
- Evaluate current and launch new member services, including identifying aspects of AFJ’s programs that can be tailored to provide unique benefits to members;
- Ensure member organizations are continuously engaged through ongoing communications, identifying new strategies to promote their activities across membership and to the public, and strategic principal and staff outreach;
- Oversee annual dues renewal process, from materials to structure of dues levels to solicitation and follow up;
- Work closely with Database Manager, Director of Finance, and other administrative and program staff to ensure systems accurately track engagement, recruitment, and dues data;
- Stay up to date on social justice, judicial nominations, and nonprofit advocacy movements to integrate best practices, identify new organizations, and inform AFJ’s member engagement strategies;
- Participate in work to increase AFJ’s racial equity capacities internally and as embodied in AFJ’s member organization program and partnerships;
- Perform other duties and assist other departments as required.
- 5-7+ years’ experience with increasing responsibilities in membership, outreach/organizing, development, and/or nonprofit programs;
- Leadership experience in membership-, affiliate- or coalition-based structures preferred;
- Innovative with a proven ability to develop new organizational programs and drive initiatives from idea to implementation;
- Staff management experience, including hiring, supervising and supporting staff to achieve outcome-oriented results, strong delegation skills, and supporting professional development;
- Strong writing and communications skills with experience crafting compelling pitches such as organizing/recruitment or development materials;
- Demonstrated experience managing relationships and communicating with a variety of stakeholder organizations and individuals to engage and motivate to action in short- and long-term partnerships, including underrepresented constituencies and organizations;
- Ability to develop systems and manage large amounts of data, with familiarity with CRMs such as Every Action, Salsa, VAN or similar preferred;
- Collaborative approach to internal and external partnerships with experience convening numerous stakeholders to drive progress on joint priorities;
- Demonstrated success planning events or program series;
- Experience working on issues related to social justice and familiarity with progressive causes, ties to national progressive nonprofits a plus;
- Demonstrated commitment to centering underrepresented and diverse constituencies, such as communities of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ communities, and others.
This position currently manages one Senior Associate and assists in the management of interns.
Salary and benefits
The salary range is $85,000-$110,000 commensurate with experience. AFJ also offers a comprehensive and generous benefits program:
Health – We offer medical, dental, vision benefits, as well an employee assistance program for physical and mental well-being.
Savings – Save for retirement with our 401K plan with employer matching. Health savings account and flexible spending account. Other insurances include life and disability.
Time – We have a generous paid time off policy.
Family - We provide 12 weeks of parental leave and a range of paid and unpaid family leave programs that allow our employees to bond with and care for their children and other dependents
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Washington, D.C. - Currently working remotely
General office working conditions, the noise level in the office is usually quiet. This is a full-time position. Some evening/weekend hours and travel may be required when needed.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants please reference Deputy Director of Membership in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, resume and writing sample to Director of Administration, Alicia Peyton. (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE)
AFJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFJ prohibits discrimination against its employees and applicants for employment based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, sero-status and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or income.
This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all-inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.