We Care Solar - Operations Coordinator
Who We Are
We Care Solar is an award-winning U.S. nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening health care and education in under-resourced countries by improving access to clean reliable electricity. Since 2010, We Care Solar has designed and delivered compact durable solar electric systems to under-resourced health centers and schools, replacing candles and kerosene lanterns with bright, efficient LED lights and power for essential devices.
Our Light Every Birth initiative is transforming maternal health care at the national level in select countries in Africa. The Light Every Birth initiative has been launched in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Uganda, and Zimbabwe, with new countries to be added in 2022. The We Care Solar Suitcase provides health workers with highly efficient medical lighting and power for mobile communication and medical devices. This device is effective in a range of medical and humanitarian settings and has been distributed to 6,200 health facilities worldwide. Our training programs build local capacity in solar installation, operation and maintenance.
We Care Solar has received international accolades and numerous awards, including the 2019 Zayed Sustainability Award, the 2017 UNFCCC Momentum for Change Award, the 2015 UN DESA Powering the Future We Want Award and the 2013 CNN Top 10 Heroes.
We are a mission focused organization and team that likes to have fun while doing serious work. Our team includes global staff from five of our priority countries and many of our team members have been with We Care Solar for more than five years. We are extremely committed to providing a fun and flexible work environment (virtually and in-person) while ensuring that we are able to deliver cost effective programs with high impact.
We Care Solar is seeking a full-time Operations Coordinator to join our team in the Berkeley, CA office -- 2-3 days/week in the office and the remainder working remotely. The team is currently working in a hybrid environment, remote and occasional in-person. We are a small organization and this role includes a variety of tasks; flexibility and a wide range of skills.
The Operations Coordinator will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will be responsible for supporting core operations functions including; office management, basic accounting, HR, IT, team support, travel, events, and logistics.
- Maintain and support our Berkeley office
- Support finance department with accounts receivable and payable, purchasing, and donor database reconciliation
- Support new hire on/off-boarding and set up
- Manage computer software purchasing and tech support
- Assist the team in various organizational functions and tasks on an as-needed basis, from administrative to programmatic, and provide reminders (master organizer)
- Manage the organization’s calendar and plan and support team events
- Create fun events both in-person and virtual
- Respond to incoming inquiries from potential partners, vendors, individuals
- Assist the team with travel, logistics, preparation for speaking engagements, and other tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- At least 2 years of full-time professional experience
- Experience supporting an office and a global team preferred
- General experience with basic accounting and HR preferred
- Deep passion for people, and the We Care Solar mission
- Highly organized with flexibility & willingness to learn and do a wide range of tasks simultaneously
- Strong sense of teamwork and ability to work collaboratively with other staff members
- Strong written & oral communications skills
- Self-starter who can work independently
- Technologically savvy
- Competency in Microsoft Office and Gmail
You’ll Impress Us if You Have…
- Non-profit experience
- Work experience in and knowledge of international development
- Cross cultural experience
- Basic knowledge of Quickbooks Online, bill.com, Salesforce, Expensify
What We Offer
- Mission-driven work. Our work has a direct impact for millions of mothers and newborns. You will see and feel the impact of your work on a daily basis.
- Competitive salaries. A competitive salary commensurate with experience and based on geographic location.
- Comprehensive benefits. Health, dental, eye insurance, 28+ paid vacation days and holidays, paid family leave, employer contributed IRA, and commuter benefits.
- Flexible work schedule. We pride ourselves on offering a flexible and fun environment while achieving our mission. You’ll have autonomy to create a schedule that brings your best work, including working remotely and setting hours of work.
- Strong culture. A working environment that values humility, integrity, inclusion, professional growth, and learning.
- Talented and dedicated team. A collaborative, hard-working, international team that is willing to do what it takes to get the job done, is committed to learning and improving, but laughs often and creates time for having fun.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We Care Solar is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering a progressive work environment that encourages participation by all team members and ensures that all voices are heard. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Salary & Benefits: Salary commensurate with background and experience. This is a full-time position with health, dental, eye insurance, 28+ paid vacation days and holidays, paid family leave, employer contributed IRA, and commuter benefits. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please submit resume and cover letter to recruit@wecaresolar(dot)org by November 14th, 2021.