Make the Road States is seeking a bilingual Human Resources Assistant who will be responsible for supporting the HR department with all administrative duties. Our Human Resources Department is a fast pace department serving multiple state offices with an overall total of more than 250 employees. The selected candidate will report to the Human Resources Manager and will collaborate in many projects with the Human Resources Associate. Attention to details is highly needed as well as accountabilities to the job responsibilities at hand.
Make the Road States (MRstates) is the national home for the second-generation Make the Road family of organizations in Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Nevada, this in addition to New York, that serves to uplift the voices of working-class, immigrants, women, LGBTQIA people, and people of color across the Make the Roads umbrella. From an operational spectrum it serves as the Finance and Human Resources Compliance Officers for the umbrella at large.
Make the Road New York builds the power of Latino and working-class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road NY operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island, Brentwood, Long Island and White Plains, Westchester. With a membership of more than 24,000 low-income New Yorkers, Make the Road tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant rights, language-access, LGBTQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform.
Our Human Resources Department offers a full umbrella of Human Resources services to the more than 270 employees that are designated across 6 offices in NYC and in 4 other states within the USA. Our commitment is to make employees feel that they are one of our main priorities, excellence in customer service is essential. Our departmental slogan is “Each Employee’s Journey Matter”; we seek to showcase this throughout all the duties we execute on a daily basis.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide administrative support to the human resources department.
- In collaboration with HR Manager and HR Associate maintain and update ADP (Payroll system) modules.
- Collaborate with HR Manager and HR Associate in creating new hire profile in the ADP (payroll system) and retirement plan database for the Make the Road family.
- In collaboration with HR Manager and HR Associate coordinate implementation of ADP (payroll system) Dashboard(s) for the Make the Road family umbrella.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating ADP (payroll system) homepage for Make the Road umbrella.
- In Collaboration with HR Associate, responsible for posting all job ads and for keeping track of the posting until hire is complete for the Make the Road umbrella and coordinate that relevant job postings are included on Make the Road NY web-site.
- Collaborate with the Admin & IT Department in the readiness of a new hire arrival for the Make the Road umbrella.
- In collaboration with the HR Manager coordinate open enrollment logistics for the Make the Road umbrella
- In collaboration with Executive Admin Assistant manage new hire staff photos for website.
- Responsible for maintaining HR calendars.
- Responsible for compiling and updating employees’ files (shared)
- Handle Pay Rate Acknowledgment Notices (WTPAs)
- Responsible for ensuring personnel file for the Make the Road umbrella are up to date on a quarterly basis.
- Responsible for ensuring benefits information is up to date in ADP (payroll system).
- Responsible for ensuring that ADP (payroll system) is up to date and run monthly employee census/demographic report by the 5th business day of the following month.
- Support team on department meetings and retreats planning
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- In collaboration with the National HR Director, is responsible for setting up evaluation reports including but not limited to 360s, supervisor’s evaluation reports and, evaluation tracking report.
- In collaboration with National HR Director, run monthly reports.
- In collaboration with the National HR Director, responsible for keeping salary spreadsheet up to date.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Bilingual a must
- Required by New York City mandate to show vaccination proof or submit weekly PCR negative test results
- 1 - 3 years of administrative office experience
- 1 - 3 years of progressively responsible experience in HR and benefit support
- Knowledge on labor laws related to FLMA, NYPFL; ADA; ACA; DOME; COBRA is a plus
- Experience with ADP or Paychex is a plus
- Must be adept at problem-solving, including being able to identify issues and resolve them in a timely manner
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Able to communicate clearly, both written and orally, as to communicate with employees, members and vendors.
- Able to effectively read and interpret information, present numerical data in a resourceful manner, and skillfully gather and analyze information
- Able to prioritize and plan work activities as to use time efficiently
- Be organized, accurate, thorough, and able to monitor progress for quality
- Be dependable, able to follow instructions, respond to management direction, and be able to improve performance through management feedback
- Ability to be flexible and to adapt to last minute changes
- Comfortable in a fast pace environment
- Demonstrated commitment to a service oriented approach
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to independently establish plans and successfully execute multiple assignments with conflicting priorities and concurrent deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Non-profit industry experience.
Please apply with a resume and cover letter stating your interest and connection to our mission in Make the Road States' Career Center.
Make the Road is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse staff. Women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability or marital status.