Definition: Under the supervision of the Managing Attorney, assume responsibility for the operations of CPB’s legal clinics and projects. This requires evening work hours one to two days a week.
- Perform telephone intake on potential clients for services in a variety of legal areas for assignment to pro bono volunteer attorneys and/or legal clinics and projects.
- Provide legal advice and forms preparation to individual clients.
- Assist with the recruitment, scheduling, and supervision of volunteers and CPB’s clinics and projects
- Track progress of client cases and maintain client files in computer database program, including data entry and retrieval.
- Provide general information about CPB’s services to community groups as well as to the public through legal education and information presentations.
- Develop legal education materials and work with client groups, community based organizations, and agencies to reach under-served eligible clients.
- Attend appropriate training sessions, continuing legal education seminars, and staff meetings.
- Assist with the preparation of reports, grants, and routine memos as needed.
- Perform additional duties as assigned consistent with qualifications.
- Law office practices and procedures
- Correct business English and legal terminology, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Interviewing techniques and counseling methods
- Listening and problem solving methods
- Windows-based computer applications and Judicial Council Forms programs (Lawyaw)
- Operation of standard office equipment
- Familiarity with Sacramento-area community resources and organizations
- Ability to communicate in a professional and courteous manner
- Good proof-reading and ability to write with correct English, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with the public, agencies, employees, and clients
- Ability to relate to low-income clients and legal communities
- Ability to work independently and accept supervision and correction
Active membership with the State Bar of California. Minimum of three (3) years of active practice and experience as licensed CA attorney. Minimum two (2) years’ experience handling consumer debt/bankruptcy, employment, and/or family law issues required. Two (2) years prior work experience dealing with the public, especially low-income individuals and/or volunteers strongly preferred. Bilingual preferred but not required.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting at $38/hour at 37.5 hours/week, DOE. Capital Pro Bono offers an excellent fringe benefit plan.