VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR II/III
County of San Mateo
Human Services Agency
$5,949-$8,767 / Month
The Human Services Agency is seeking a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor II/III. This position is for a fully experienced journey/advanced journey level class in the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor series. The incumbent has a full caseload, which includes individuals with severe emotional disabilities and serious vocational deficiencies and performs a complete range of counseling and placement services using accepted vocational rehabilitation principles and techniques. The duties may include, but are not limited to, interviewing clients, evaluating skills and job readiness, analyzing medical information, vocational case management, report writing and charting client progress, and developing a vocational rehabilitation plan to assist Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VRS) clients into securing and maintaining employment.
Bilingual in Spanish is preferred, but not required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Master's Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling.
- Two years of experience providing vocational and supportive counseling to assist clients with overcoming barriers to vocational success.
- Two years of experience evaluating work skills and work capacities to assist clients with formulating vocational plans.
- Two years of experience working with diverse populations, including people who were previously experiencing homelessness, people with mental health disabilities, people in alcohol and drug recovery programs, formerly incarcerated individuals, and others with disabilities and/or barriers to employment.
- Experience collaborating/conferring with treatment providers, including case managers, Department of Rehabilitation staff, and medical personnel.
- Experience facilitating vocational groups.
- Ability to analyze and interpret medical, social, psychological, and educational data to develop an action plan based on that data.
- Ability to administer and evaluate vocational tests.
- Knowledge of social security regulations as well as other benefits programs to provide benefits counseling to individuals including work incentives.
- Ability to follow complex policies and administrative procedures.
- A thorough working knowledge and demonstrated skill in vocational rehabilitation counseling principles and techniques.
- Creative problem-solving skills with ability to look "outside the box" and be action oriented.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as computer literate.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify for a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor II is one year of basic experience in counseling and job placement of vocationally handicapped adults, and a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor III is three years of experience performing journey level Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor duties.
FINAL FILING DATE: October 26, 2021
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/3258111/vocational-rehabilitation-counselor-ii-iii-open-and-promotional. Applications are only accepted online. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. EOE