Job Posting – Controller
The Center for Transportation and the Environment (CTE) is a member-supported 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that develops, promotes, and implements advanced transportation technologies, vehicles, and fuels that reduce environmental pollution and fossil fuel dependency. CTE is a passionate, progressive workplace open to employee-driven ideas and opportunities. CTE is headquartered in Atlanta, GA with offices in Berkeley, Los Angeles, and St. Paul.
This job opportunity is located in Atlanta.
CTE’s mission is to improve the health of our climate and communities by bringing people together to develop and commercialize clean, efficient, and sustainable transportation technologies. Since 1993, CTE has managed a portfolio of over $600 million in team research, development, and demonstration projects. We’ve helped over 200 US companies move their technologies into the global energy and transportation mainstream. Currently, CTE is heavily involved in the deployment of electric vehicles across the U.S. CTE works closely with vehicle manufacturers, component providers, and fleet operators, including transit agencies and logistics organizations across the country. To learn more about CTE, please visit www.cte.tv.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
CTE is committed to championing inclusivity, diversity, and equity through our pursuit of a zero-emission future. We are motivated by our mission to improve the health of our climate for all people. Our staff seek to create a community where your identity is not only embraced, but celebrated. Whatever your race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, religion, or socioeconomic status may be, we welcome and encourage all individuals to join us in transforming transportation.
CTE is seeking a Controller to be directly responsible for the organization and management of all fiscal functions of the organization in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. The Controller will maintain credibility for CTE’s accounting and finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports, and financial trends in order to assist the Executive Director, the Board, and other project management staff in performing their responsibilities. The Controller position is supported by three accounting/finance staff members and one business analyst.
- Responsible for organizing and managing the financial functions of CTE
- Completely accountable for the effective day-to-day operations and results of the financial function; planning, organizing, and coordinating all activities of the accounting function to ensure accurate and timely recording and reporting of all financial results for the organization
- Develop and implement initiatives to improve accounting procedures and ensure that results are attained and quality standards are met
- Monitor and improve financial internal controls
- Responsible for monitoring organizational financial trends of various projects through ongoing financial analysis and providing recommendations to improve operations and issue possible corrective actions
- Responsible for submitting payroll through outside payroll service and maintaining compliance with all applicable tax authorities; ensuring that all established policies and procedures are maintained
- Maintain the general ledger and all related accounts with proper documentation and records of all company transactions; review entries to the general ledger to assure accuracy and compliance with the company's and established accounting principles; control all changes to chart of accounts and subaccounts; responsible for monthly and year-end closing of the general ledger including preparation of journal entries
- Responsible for maintaining computerized accounting system, backup control, assisting accounting staff with questions and generating computer reports and statements
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation for all accounts; verify accuracy of bank statements and resolve questions or problems; maintain integrity of cash balances and cash flow systems
- Responsible for maintaining fixed asset schedules and related depreciation; ensuring accuracy of capitalization of expenses according to current accounting standards
- Responsible for coordinating and overseeing the annual year-end audit as well as serving as the primary point of contact for periodic governmental audits
- Responsible for negotiating annual Indirect Cost Rate agreement with cognizant Federal agency
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual tax return for CTE in conjunction with independent tax accountants; ensuring timely filing of federal and state returns
- Prepare annual budget by working with senior staff and establishing financial goals and targets
- Prepare and oversee all project budgets; develop invoices and financial statements that comply with federal, state, and local reporting requirements
- Analyze contract structure for all existing contracts to ensure compliance and maximize billing potential; advise the financial perspective on any contracts into which CTE may enter
- Evaluate the finance division structure and team plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth with emphasis on opportunities (where possible) of individuals
- Four-year degree
- CPA (flexible for right candidate)
- 8+ years of work experience demonstrating strong financial and accounting background, including an understanding of profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow management, and general finance and budgeting
- Proficiency in Intuit QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with SAP Concur and Salesforce is a plus
- Experience in non-profit or consulting organization financial management and accounting is preferred
- Experience in government contracting and accounting is preferred
- Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, and Life Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care FSA
- 401k Match
- Annual Raises
- PTO (Vacation, Sick Leave, Holidays, Volunteer Time)
- Maternity/Paternity Leave
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Education Assistance
- Phone and Parking Subsidies
- Computer Equipment/Software
- Valued at approximately $10,000-$15,000/year
How to Apply
Please submit a current resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CTE is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identification, gender expression, marital status, HIV status, disability, or any other status protected by laws or regulations. All employment decisions are based on business need, qualifications, and merit.