The Animal Foundation (TAF) is seeking an enterprising chief executive to build on our extraordinary record of saving all healthy and treatable animals and industry leadership in operating one of the highest-volume animal shelters in the nation.
About The Animal Foundation
Founded in 1978, TAF is one of the largest and most respected animal shelters in America. Last year we saved over 15,000 lost, homeless, and often mistreated animals. Our mission to save the lives of all healthy and treatable animals in the Las Vegas Valley means breaking barriers to TAF’s lifesaving programs and services for all pets and pet owners who need them.
Located in Las Vegas, NV, TAF’s current staff includes 185 full and part time employees, in addition to hundreds of volunteers. The organization’s annual budget is roughly 12 million dollars. More information about TAF can be found at https://animalfoundation.com.
In addition to serving as a major entertainment and tourist center, Las Vegas is home to a number of high-tech companies and other professional businesses. It is also home to the University of Nevada School of Medicine, the University of Nevada-Las Vegas (UNLV) and Le Cordon Blue Culinary Institute. Professional sports teams include the Las Vegas Raiders of the National Football League and the Vegas Golden Knights of the National Hockey League. Located in the Mojave Desert and Clark County, with 2.6 million residents, Las Vegas is in close proximity to many National Parks including the Grand Canyon and Red Rock Canyon. The city is serviced by an international airport. The State of Nevada has no state income tax.
About the Position
The CEO of TAF will hold one of the most visible and important nonprofit leadership positions in Southern Nevada. Advancing the TAF mission will result in the systemic improvement in the quality of life of our residents and their animals. The CEO will oversee a three-pronged lifesaving approach based on lowering intakes, increasing positive animal outcomes, and ensuring we properly house and care for all animals who come into our care.
The CEO reports to our Board of Directors, a dedicated and influential group of leaders committed to furthering the mission and providing a strong organizational foundation for our team. The CEO will directly oversee the TAF executive team and carry out the next stages of our strategic plan. This plan will prioritize serving animals by keeping them in the community rather than admitting them to the shelter whenever possible.
The incoming executive will inherit a high-performing organization renowned for setting and achieving ambitious goals. In addition to strengthening and maintaining our lifesaving standards, priorities in the coming years will include providing:
- Access to Care: Ensuring all pet owners have access to basic medical care for their animal.
- Access to Support: Ensuring all pet owners can provide their animal food, shelter, and enrichment.
- Access to the TAF Brand: Spreading brand awareness while cultivating a culture reflective of the community we serve.
The chief executive provides leadership to the organization and oversees its day-to-day affairs. A high-level overview of core responsibilities includes:
- Strategic vision and leadership: Collaborate with our Board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with TAF’s core mission.
- Resource development: Ensure that revenue from county, municipal and other partners is secured to address present needs. Maintain and expand the fundraising program for gifts from individual, foundations and corporations.
- Program development and oversight: Under the framework of the new strategic plan, and in collaboration with municipal and community partners, oversee the creation of new community-based programs and the maintenance of strong current programs.
- Culture and infrastructure: Foster an organization that is inclusive, diverse and open to all people. This will include creating a positive collaborate team environment to recruit and retain talented executive and management staff.
Qualifications and Requirements
Qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- Passion for saving all healthy and treatable animals.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters preferred, or equivalent experience.
- At least 10 years of professional experience with increasing management responsibilities. While prior nonprofit experience is ideal, a successful career history of executive level management is required.
- Ability to build strong collaborative teams and actively engage with staff. Demonstrated appreciation for staff, solicitation/incorporation of their input, and a positive working environment.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills. The experience and natural ability to be an articulate spokesperson, relationship builder and organization champion.
- Excellent coalition building skills and previous success in establishing partnerships with individuals and organizations of influence, including civic leaders, city and county officials, nonprofit agencies and for-profit entities.
- Strategic thinking and vision. The vision and strategic thinking to perceive opportunities for growth and improve the efficiency, quality and costs of TAF services.
- Ability to successfully manage conflict and adversity.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Change agent - effective leadership with the ability to “bring others along.” Can motivate and influence individuals and groups.
- Sound and pragmatic managerial ability. An astute manager who can set clear priorities, delegate, invest in people and systems, sustainably solve problems and make timely decisions.
- Active fundraising experience, an understanding of nonprofit fundraising strategies, and major donor relations.
- Experience and skill in working with a board of directors.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
The Animal Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, basic life, short term and long term disability, employee assistance, and a 403(b) retirement plan.
The search for the Chief Executive Officer is being conducted by The Moran Company.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume to Becky Hauk, The Moran Company. Resume should include all professional experience, dates of employment (month and year), position/title, and organization names. Apply Now