About Make the Road Connecticut:
Make the Road Connecticut is a statewide organization that builds power of immigrants and low- income Latinx in Hartford and Bridgeport to achieve dignity and justice. We do this by community organizing, legal and survival services, transformative education, and policy innovation. We tackle the issues that directly impact our communities of color: immigration reform, economic justice, education equity, womxn’s justice and youth justice.
About the Position:
We seek an energetic Community Organizer who will have the primary responsibility of building and supporting the Mother Warrior (Madres Guerreras) parent committee through base building, leadership development and executing a local campaign to guarantee language access to immigrant parents within Hartford Public Schools. We seek a candidate to have one year of experience in outreach to community members, coordination of local actions and mobilization for statewide actions. Candidate will grow into engaging allies across the state and the city to advance our organizational power. The Community Organizer who will be based in Hartford will report to the lead organizer.
Community Organizer will be responsible for:
- Identifying, recruiting and developing community members.
- Facilitate committee meetings and develop members to facilitate their meetings.
- Develop and implement campaign work plans.
- Plan local actions with parent strategy committee.
- Develop testimonies with members for press.
- Work with directly impacted people to give testimonies that advance our campaigns.
- Navigate community and political relationships and empower parent leaders to do this for their own committee.
- Develop political education materials in conjunction with our campaigns and facilitate regular political education workshops as part the parent committee meetings.
- Collaborate with the Bridgeport parent committee to build our statewide power.
Develop a leadership pipeline that sustain parent leader and activist growth and ensuring that members are taking leads on outreach, popular education training and other work that they are doing through 1-1s, phone banking, and parent KYR trainings.
The Community Organizer must have the following:
- Eligible to work in the US
- At least 1 years of experience in community, labor, or other relevant organizing fields.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, community organizing, leadership development and the elevation of directly impacted and marginalized people to create change.
- Speaking and writing in English/Spanish is required.
- A car and driver’s license is required.
- High School Diploma or 2-4year degree is preferred.
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment at a growing organization.
- Be able to work in a fast and start up environment.
- Ability to travel between Hartford and Bridgeport on a regular basis.
- Computer and data literacy is preferred
Competitive annual salary based on relevant work experience, education, and other factors. This is a full time hourly salary position that includes a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance and 401K.
To apply please submit resume and cover letter at the Make the Road Connecticut Career Center.
Make the Road CT is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employers and seek to ensure equal opportunity and equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, religion, color, citizenship, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, genetic information and sexual orientation, in all employment decisions including but not limited to hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.