ABOUT TEEN SUCCESS, INC.
Teen Success, Inc. builds pathways to prosperity for two generations—young mothers and their children. We believe that education is the key factor in breaking the intergenerational cycle of poverty faced by young families. Teen Success, Inc. empowers young mothers to complete high school and persist through post-secondary education, and nurture their child’s positive development to ensure the success of the whole family. Our two-generation approach involves partnering with young mothers to heal trauma, build skills and a future mindset, and address the barriers they face to being successful in school and in life.
The young women Teen Success, Inc. works with are low-income, 94% are women of color, and many are from immigrant families. In addition to the challenges and stigma associated with being a young mother, Teen Success, Inc. members are faced with further complexities including housing instability; limited access to healthcare and reproductive health information; emotional and physical violence in their homes, relationships and communities; lack of access to affordable childcare; and racism and discrimination.
Teen Success, Inc. has supported over 1,600 families since our founding in 2011. Every year, over 85% of our program participants graduate from high school, as compared to 38% of teen mothers nationally. The children of the young mothers we work with are thriving as well, with close to 90% meeting their linguistic milestones which is setting them up to be kindergarten ready.
Teen Success, Inc. currently operates programs in the following areas of California: San Jose, Fresno, Sacramento and Monterey County. Teen Success, Inc. is headquartered in Milpitas, California.
The Development Manager supports the Development efforts of Teen Success, Inc. by identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual donors. The Donor Engagement Manager’s focus will be on engaging individual donors giving under $10,000 through campaigns, donor communications, individual meetings, and events. The Development Manager is first and foremost, passionate about the mission of the organization. They must have strong communication skills, excellent time-management skills, and be able to prioritize deadlines. The ideal candidate is a flexible, collaborative and detail-driven professional with direct solicitation and/or annual campaign experience, and a commitment to learning and growth.
- Work closely with the Director of Development and Communications and Fund Development Committee to meet and grow fundraising goals for individual donors (currently ~$500,000 annually)
- Develop a cultivation-solicitation-stewardship pipeline for both new prospects and returning donors
- Manage a portfolio of individual major donors and prospects (currently 20-30 people), using cultivation and solicitation tools including one-on-one meetings, written communications, and small events to engage individuals with Teen Success, Inc.’s work
- Research potential prospective donors and work with Fund Development Committee to reach out to potential prospects.
- Using Teen Success, Inc.’s donor database, Salesforce, analyze trends related to individual giving and campaign ROI to improve donor retention and acquisition
- Assist the Director of Development and Communications in the planning and execution of major fundraising events
- Oversee smaller donor events including open houses and house parties (currently virtual, in person when safe to gather).
- Support Director of Development and Communications in developing messaging for fundraising letters, donor newsletters, fundraising donation pages, and special campaigns
- Support additional fundraising activities of the Teen Success, Inc. Board, fund development committee, and staff
- Past development/fundraising experience as a Development Coordinator or Manager (or other role that provides skills needed for a direct fundraising position)
- Knowledgeable about fundraising best practices, including community-centric fundraising
- Experience with Salesforce or other donor database software
- Strong communications skills
- Be mission-driven and passionate about our work
- Interest in improving performance to increase impact
- Approximately 2-4 years non-profit experience
Frequently cited statistics show that women and members of structurally marginalized and/or underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Teen Success, Inc. encourages you to apply, even if you don’t meet all the qualifications for the position. We look forward to your application and hearing about why you are interested in our work.
While this position needs to be based in the Bay Area to meet with donors and will require some in-person time in our Milpitas office, Teen Success, Inc. offers a flexible work environment to support our commitment to families and work-life balance. This includes flexibility in work hours and work location. The details of this flexibility will be determined by each employee's supervisor in collaboration with the employee and based on role, duties, personal circumstances, and performance.
To apply, please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications and your resume to email@example.com. Be sure to include the job title, Development Manager, in your subject line. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible; applications will be reviewed as they are received; open until filled.
For more information about Teen Success, Inc. please visit our website: www.teensuccess.org.
For details on our competitive benefits package please visit www.teensuccess.org/careers.
Teen Success, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Note: This position was originally advertised as a Donor Engagement Manager. Thanks to feedback from fellow non-profit professionals and job seekers, we have renamed and adjusted the scope of the role. If you previously applied for the Donor Engagement Manager position, there is no need to apply again.