Riders Alliance fights for reliable, affordable and world-class public transit in order to build a more just and sustainable New York. We organize subway and bus riders to build grassroots power across racial, economic, and neighborhood lines: holding our elected officials accountable, engaging the public, and taking direct action to guarantee that riders have a powerful voice in the decisions that affect us.
We’re hiring a Digital Organizing & Campaign Manager to mobilize and grow our grassroots base of subway and bus riders, and lead digital campaigns that drive transformative policy wins for public transit riders. As we work to radically reimagine the role and power of public transit in NYC’s recovery, now is a critical moment to expand our base and bring rider organizing to its next groundshifting level. Our ideal candidate is an experienced digital strategist and communicator who can effectively manage a robust campaign calendar and help us level up our digital strategy across all channels.
Riders Alliance has won important progress for public transit in New York, including the Fair Fares program; billions of dollars in new funding to fix the subway through North America’s first congestion pricing plan and a bold reimagining of the city’s local bus service. Most recently, we won nearly $15 billion in federal relief funding to rescue riders and NYC’s transit system from immediate catastrophe due to COVID-19 and to ensure the millions of New Yorkers who rely on buses and subways every day don’t lose their service.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Digital Organizing & Campaign Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Grow an organized base of transit activists. Drive the growth of our membership and online community through social media, texting, email, and by building relationships with allies and digital activists.
- Manage our digital campaigns. Develop campaigns and actions to amplify the voice of public transit riders online and increase pressure on key elected officials around core policy issues.
Create engaging content. Create social and email content that highlights rider voices and educates the public on key transit issues, incorporating video, photography, and other visuals to drive engagement.
- Support our events and fundraising. Partner with organizers to drive engagement around in-person events and utilize content and assets from in-person events to drive online engagement and recruit new members.
- Help level up our digital organizing. Partner with the Deputy Director to level up our digital systems, including improvements to our website and backend infrastructure. Experiment with new strategies and integrate new ideas and data-driven insights into our work.
- Be inclusive. Recognize and appreciate different ways of working and being.
Our ideal candidate meets the following qualifications:
- You have 3-5 years in digital organizing, digital campaigns, or social media management where you have demonstrated success in managing advocacy campaigns and growing a digital audience and/or grassroots base.
- You are an exceptional writer, and highly skilled in social media management and content creation. Ideally, you may have some basic design and video editing skills too.
- You are well organized and an excellent project manager. You keep projects moving, pay attention to detail, and meet deadlines.
- You are excited about transit as a tool for building a more just and equitable City. You are committed to racial, gender and economic justice and their intersections, both inside and outside organizations.
- Ideally, you have experience executing successful digital campaigns in diverse settings, including in low-income communities and communities of color.
- You have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- Full-time position. Hours will require some in-city travel, evening meetings, and occasional weekend and off-hours work.
- Benefits: medical, vision, and dental insurance with a generous employer contribution; 403(b) retirement savings program with employer match; four weeks vacation in addition to generous office holidays.
How to apply:
- Send a resume and cover letter, and any relevant social handles or portfolio sites to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are considered on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged.
Riders Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and we strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply for the position.