Make the Road States builds the power of immigrant and working-class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road States operates community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; Brentwood, Long Island and White Plains, Westchester County. With a membership of 23,000, MRS tackles the critical issues facing our communities, including workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant rights and civil rights, TGNCIQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform. (TGNCIQ = transgender, gender non-conforming, intersex and queer)
MRStates is a multi-service organization. Our member-led organizing committees -- which work on the issues named above -- implement strategies to combat shared problems, and develop leadership and the capacity for civic participation. We also provide an array of high-quality bilingual services: We offer English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Spanish-language literacy, computer literacy, citizenship preparation, and in-school and after-school youth programs. We have a robust legal program that offers direct representation across a spectrum of practice areas, including employment law, immigration law, housing and benefits, and TGNCIQ civil rights; we also take on impact litigation as a strategy for achieving broad change. Our health program offers facilitated enrollment into health insurance programs and SNAP benefits, a community health worker home visit program, nutrition education and emergency food pantries, health care navigation, and more."
The Finance Department of MRStates is a small, but rapidly growing, fast paced unit that manages the organization’s complex finances and multiple States’ budgets. This position will be based in MRStates’ finance office in Bushwick, Brooklyn located off the L train (Jefferson Avenue stop).
Make the Road States seeks a Grants Associate to be responsible for assisting in the compliance management of all City, State and Federal agency funding and contracts. The Associate will provide support to a rapidly growing organization and will report directly to our Compliance Manager.
MRStates is a multi-faceted organization, and this position requires flexibility, a positive attitude, impeccable time management skills, rigorous attention to detail, a sense of humor and the ability to handle many tasks and manage competing priorities.
Key Responsibilities ( but not limited to)
- Track deadlines and coordinate contracting, reporting, and submission of invoices and budgets
- Assist the contracting process by working with development and program teams, as well as the Manager of Grants, Finance and his team during the RFP process to develop budgets, and assist in providing other required documentation.
- Assist Billing team by maintaining a small portfolio of government grants, including billing, budgeting, and backup pulling.
- Assist with ensuring compliance with all government regulations, including Federal, State and Local funding restrictions (i.e., unallowable costs, administrative and clerical charges, Timesheet/Program Activity Reporting).
- Assist in the maintenance of staff allocations for government grants
- Assist with the maintenance of MWBE schedules and ensure the timely reporting of the State MWBE reports. Ensure the MWBE spending is coordinated with Administrative staff
- Assist in maintaining and updating government registrations and pre-qualifications, as well as files and database records related to government grant maintenance.
- Assist the Compliance Manager with Lobbying calculations and reporting at City and State Level in multiple States.
- Assist in maintaining filing systems other administrative duties such as sorting and scanning mail, data entry, and journal entries in the accounting system as needed.
- Eligible to work in the U.S
- Required by New York City mandate to show vaccination proof or submit weekly PCR negative test results.
- Must be analytical with strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- 1-2 years of progressively responsible administrative experience preferred, especially within a nonprofit development or finance department and 1-2 years of college education.
- Possess a commitment to collective action and community organizing.
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus/not required/mandatory.
- High level of accountability and initiative; needs to be a self-starter and highly motivated to produce excellent results under minimum supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with all levels of staff while maintaining flexibility, tact, and a positive attitude.
- Be highly professional and team oriented with a passion for excellence and eagerness to help the department meet our goals.
- Have a working knowledge of spreadsheets, Microsoft Office suite, and be eager to learn new software and database systems
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and complete assignments under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A sense of humor and ability to work under pressure required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary is based on a scale set by a democratically-elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education. MRS offers an excellent benefit package including health insurance, 401K, and generous paid vacation, sick, personal days.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume to the Make the Road States Career Center.
MRStates is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse staff. Women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability or marital status.