Are you an experienced people leader with intense curiosity and drive? Are you willing to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas? Do you have the exceptional ability to structure and oversee analytic and strategic problem solving? Can you create impact through influence? If yes, then join our growing team!
RMI (formerly Rocky Mountain Institute) is seeking two Managers to focus on state policy. One position is in the US Program and will work with states in our new State Ambition initiative on advancing a variety of motivated equitable climate policies. The other position is in the Carbon Free Buildings program and will work primarily with states (but also cities) in our Codes for Climate initiative. Please read through the descriptions below and note in your application which position(s) you’re interested in.
RMIers bring a variety of skillsets, and we welcome you to bring diverse educational and professional backgrounds.
The US Program works to accelerate the US transition to a climate-aligned future. The US Program collaboratively develops RMI’s overall US strategy by establishing clear priorities while working to integrate, elevate, and fill gaps among US-focused work across RMI’s programs. The US Program works with government, industry, and civil society across all economic sectors to accelerate US decarbonization.
The State Ambition Initiative works with frontrunner states to inform, develop, and implement state-level climate strategies with communications, targeted analysis and tools, informed advocacy, and focused technical assistance and facilitation services. It is also coordinated with America Is All In which brings a whole-of-society approach to climate action.
The Carbon-Free Buildings Program seeks to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from US buildings by 2050 through market and policy solutions that support a just, equitable transition for all. The team balances research, technical analysis, communication, stakeholder convening and facilitation, and collaboration to achieve its goals.
Codes for Climate seeks to deliver the climate-aligned building codes and performance standards that states and cities need to meet their policy goals. It works with frontrunner states to advance building policies that deliver multiple benefits including health, resilience, and climate action.
Both of these positions are focused on immediate and fast-moving efforts to achieve significant policy wins in the next few years.
As a Manager, you will work closely with and under the direction of RMI’s Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects that deliver meaningful policy impact for the planet. You will lead a team to execute on the project vision, providing day-to-day project leadership and mentoring your team.
Engage with state staff and policymakers to support climate action
- Work with state staff and leadership in multiple states to deliver strategy support, technical assistance, facilitation services, and other support for motivated climate action.
- Work with multiple states to support cross-state collaboration.
- Develop options, variations, and alternatives for major climate policies to support adoption in different contexts
- Work with NGO partners to support climate policy action.
Manage projects to yield breakthrough insights and results
- With senior guidance, shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: determine change models, policy strategies, research methods, timelines, resource plans, communications plans, and stakeholder engagement.
- Determine how results will be measured and be accountable for project results, challenging and providing quality control for findings from RMI teams and partners.
- Act as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders.
- Mentor and motivate project team members and resolve any issues throughout project life cycle, including writing project-level reviews for junior staff
- Manage 2-5 direct reports
- Oversee projects with typically 5 to 30 participants (internal and external).
- Regularly contribute to external interviews, videos, and publications to share project insights.
- Work hand-in-hand with our development team to develop funding strategies.
Provide thought leadership
- Develop strategies for achieving meaningful progress on decarbonization through policy, domestically and internationally
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications
- Represent RMI as an industry expert at key conferences and other public speaking events
- At least 8 years of direct, relevant experience in public policy, advocacy, coalition-buildings, or policy-related energy work -- or a Master’s degree in a relevant field and at least 5 years of direct, relevant experience.
- Evidence of good people management skills.
- Demonstrable management, organization, entrepreneurship, and achievement.
- Ability to navigate complex relationships across multiple organizations and interests.
- Experience with policymakers, public officials, and staff, especially in state government. Experience with city or federal government also welcome.
- Experience with energy, climate, and/or environmental justice.
- Experience working in and with frontline communities
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating dynamic conversations.
- Understanding of basic financial analysis and metrics.
- Ability to design, create, and run Excel-based models.
- Prior experience in consulting, project management, or other related fields.
- Ability to create clear, structured strategies and problem-solving frameworks
- For the Carbon Free Buildings role specifically: Knowledge about building codes, building science, construction.
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, employees are encouraged to be based out of one of our offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting salary range for you in the role would be $112,000 - $121,000. This is dependent upon experience that will be discussed and vetted through the interview process. You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.