First Book is temporarily working remote due to Covid-19 & has a mandatory vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 510,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Charity Navigator has awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position:
First Book is a leader in both philanthropic and public-private sector partnerships, focused on removing barriers to education for kids in need. The Manager of Strategic Alliances (New Business) will help recruit and design corporate partnerships and cause-based marketing campaigns for First Book.
The Manager will play a principal role in cultivating and strengthening corporate relationships in a dynamic, fast-paced organization. Responsibilities include corporate partner research, outreach, strategy development, relationship building, project management, budgeting, and partnership marketing. The Manager should possess experience in cause-based marketing, corporate partnership development, and/or consulting with the private sector. Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong interest in fundraising, solid business writing and presentation skills, excellent verbal communication, experience with pitch formation and delivery, creative and bold thinking, exceptional critical thinking skills, and a passion for corporate social responsibility.
The Manager will work most closely with colleagues on the Strategic Alliances Team, as well as collaborate extensively with team members across the organization to ensure that organizational needs are met through corporate partnerships. The Manager will report directly to the Senior Director of Strategic Alliances (New Business).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop strong relationships with internal stakeholders, to support existing partnerships and to forward the work of Strategic Alliances
Keep abreast of philanthropic trends that may affect the assigned portfolio of partner
• Develop dynamic funding proposals and pitches to new corporate partners
• Bring creativity and a customer-service mentality to all corporate relationships
• Report and track all relevant partner and opportunity updates within Salesforce
• Liaise with cross-functional First Book teams
• Lead and contribute to ideation sessions
• Prospect and secure corporate funding
• Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• Have a strong interest in corporate social responsibility
• A track record of leadership, innovation and creativity in the private sector is highly desirable
• Fast learner with a strong team-focused, collaborative mentality
• Be self-motivated and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced multi-tasked environment as a member of a vibrant team.
• Be passionate about making a tangible, measurable difference
• Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Exceptional organizational skills and time management required. Must have the ability to meet designated deadlines.
• Proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
• Be able to travel, as needed, up to 40% in peak partnership activation periods
Education and/or Experience:
• BA/BS required
• A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of work experience in a corporate fundraising or client development capacity and a strong interest in corporate social responsibility.
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Hybrid work environment - can work from home and office
• Dental & medical insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Eleven Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying please reach out us at firstname.lastname@example.org / 202-499-5935.