With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Senior Specialist Member Services is responsible for leading the front- and back-end constituent experience that inspires confidence in EDF as a unique, well-run and effective force for change. The Senior Specialist will manage and coach a premier Member Services team and will monitor trends and volume to identify technical or data problems, program sentiments and other concerns that need to be remedied or addressed by the organization.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Member Services, the Senior Specialist will work closely with colleagues in various departments to advance the interests and improve the experience of our members, activists and other constituents. The Sr. Specialist will manage two Member Services Associates.
Responsibilities will include:
- Executing a strategy to run a first-class Member Services program.
- Overseeing and managing EDF’s Member Services team to handle tens of thousands of cases (inbound contacts) per year, including telephone calls, emails, and letters.
- Coordinating with program staff to draft scripts and talking points about EDF’s policies and program work to address member and general public inquiries.
- Auditing procedures to ensure communications are handled efficiently and effectively. Regularly communicate any updates needed to respond to frequently asked questions and new issues/inquiries as they arise.
- Partnering with Social and Digital Marketing leads to monitor constituents’ and public comments about EDF over social media. Develop effective responses to issues raised through those channels.
- Managing a variety of important ongoing tasks, including escalated service issues; identify duplicate records in the database; review corporate matching gifts; research and attribute unidentified gifts to appropriately; process unusual gifts that the caging firm rejects; manage premium fulfillment issues; acknowledging gifts of securities; and fraud identification.
- Collaborating with the Senior Manager Member Services, leverage insights and feedback from Member Services Associates and constituents to improve donor the member experience.
- Participating in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidate should possess:
- Four years’ experience in Member and/or Customer Service. Experience in charitable fundraising programs is preferred.
- Bachelors of Arts or equivalent degree preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong management and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to multi-task and handle heavy volume of constituent engagements while not sacrificing accuracy.
- An understanding of how to leverage database tools to gain insights and identify problems and opportunities to advance constituent experiences with the organization.
- High comfort level to make many small decisions every day.
- Ability to be proactive in assessing challenges and working with the team to develop solutions to advance our constituents’ experiences.
- Proven proficiency in problem-solving using database tools to understand how to fulfill the wishes of our constituents and to work with the IT and Data teams to address issues/challenges in how we record and extract data to improve our constituents’ experiences.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Acting as a concierge for our constituents, an ideal candidate must be responsive and have strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage a team to operate efficiently and stay ahead of the game.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/senior-specialist-member-services
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.