I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher support; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams within schools; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Summary
Reporting to the Director of Development (DOD), the Manager of Philanthropy will join a growing, collaborative national development team tasked with scaling up the organization’s philanthropic base across a number of state partner portfolios. The Manager of Philanthropy will partner with executive directors in 3-4 states, including a deep partnership with Teach Plus California, to build and maintain relationships with current and prospective funders (with a focus on growing individual giving over time), co-write grant proposals and reports, and help to maintain the operational systems required to manage an efficient development department.
The position requires a highly organized and self-motivated professional who has experience managing individual giving efforts, exercises the highest level of discretion, and can work independently while coordinating with team members located in multiple locations toward meeting the organization’s annual fundraising goal of $12M.
III. Position Responsibilities
Launch Individual Giving Strategy
- In partnership with the DOD, build and execute a fundraising strategy to launch individual giving campaigns over 2-4 states over time;
- Lead stewardship and communications efforts to grow the individual giving base over time across partner states
Fundraising and Development
The Manager of Philanthropy will partner with the Executive Directors in California and 2-4 other states to:
- Expand fundraising pipelines and build relationships with prospective funders;
- Maintain strong relationships with current funders to secure new gifts and renewals;
- Lead preparation for and participate in funder meetings;
- In partnership with the Development Team, author concept papers, funder communications, proposals, reports, and other documents;
- Project manage the stewardship and grants-renewal process with partner states, collaborating across the organization to ensure strong relationships and timely submission of grant proposals and reports to funders.
- Provide ongoing ad hoc support to the Director of Development, including but not limited to contributing to national grant proposals, reporting, and the preparation of meeting materials, presentations, and grant acknowledgement letters.
- Co-develop systems and reporting using the Salesforce platform to accurately track cultivation and the status of fundraising pipelines, and to allow for future expansion to other states over time.
IV. Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, including at least 2-3 years of cultivating and prospecting funders with experience leading individual giving efforts; experience in education, nonprofit or philanthropic organizations, a plus;
- Exceptional organizational skills; demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; and ability to meet deadlines;
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills;
- Proven writing, editing, and oral communications skills;
- Self-motivated, with strong problem-solving abilities and a strong attention to detail;
- A passionate commitment to advancing equity and improving public education, including by supporting outstanding and diverse teachers to contribute to the success of all students;
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM platforms is preferred.
V. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
This position will be conducted virtually (primarily from a home office). Candidates located in California or who have experience fundraising in California will be prioritized. A successful candidate will have the ability to build relationships and meet with potential funders in California (in-person and/or remotely).
VII. Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Teach Plus offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 3% matching 401k plan, disability and life insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and childcare expenses. Teach Plus offers generous time off benefits including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 11 holidays, and winter break. Additionally, Teach Plus offers a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
VIII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/328095