Finance Director Job Summary
The Controller reports to the Executive Director of 100 Black Men of Atlanta, Inc. (100 BMOA) and has overall responsibility for the finances of the organization and for ensuring compliance with the financial policies and procedures within the organization.
This position is responsible for preparing monthly financial statements, administering and processing receipts, grants administration, accounts payable, invoicing, and capital campaign accounting records; Maintain and process time reporting and payroll processing; ensure reconciliation of agency benefit plans to remittances; maintain and ensure compliance with agency document retention policy; serve as liaison to 100 BMOA for financial reporting and compliance with standards, and recommend improvements in all processes for which responsible.
- Prepare, manage, and administer the agency budget. Ensure adherence to budget and proactively recommend/implement revisions to expenditure levels when required to maintain positive net operating revenue and cash flow.
- Ensure the integrity of financial reporting and all the other financial matters pertaining to the operation, its administration, and vested stakeholders.
- Serve as a key team member of the Executive Leadership Team in setting the strategic direction of the agency. Provide leadership and support to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Lead functional areas of Finance, Information systems, and Administration.
- Review and approve all contracts.
- Develop financial policies and procedures and direct their implementation.
- Prepare timely and accurate monthly financial statements including the statements for the general operating fund, all restricted and designated funds, special events and the capital campaign
- Process deposits
- Grants Management and reconciliation
- Grants Financial Reporting and documentation
- CRM financial reporting and data.
- Prepare recurring and closing journal entries
- Maintain and reconcile ledger accounts
- Receive, process, and deposit cash, checks, and credit card contributions
- Manage the semimonthly accounts payable process including verification of expenditure requests and timely payment to vendor and employees
- Coordinate provision of information to external auditors in connection of annual financial audit
- Prepare and issue invoices to donors and maintain file of open and closed invoice
- Maintain record of capital campaign pledges and payments
- Submit monthly financial reporting to 100 Black Men of America
- Administer and maintain time reporting and payroll systems, and initiate bi-weekly payroll processing
- Maintain payroll system for force movement, benefits, and other changes
- Administer tracking of Paid Time Off (PTO) and payment of PTO upon termination
- Coordinate annual update of staff auto insurance and driver’s licenses, and process MVR checks
- Reconcile medical and other employee benefit-related remittances to records of coverage on a monthly basis
- Research, augment, and reissue comprehensive document retention policy
- Maintain specialized filing systems (general filing, contracts, vendor payments, publications, etc.)
- Establish and maintain a contract management system. Proactively advise of upcoming contractual actions required
- Negotiate selected contracts as requested by supervisor
- Open mail and endorse all checks with agency’s official stamp, and distribute mail
- Management of office mail system and timely delivery of outgoing mail (including overnight mail and courier service) and internal mail distribution
- Preparation of semi-monthly payroll
- Maintain the General Ledger
- Prepare monthly financial statements
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation’s
- Prepare vendor 1099’s annually
- Ensure filing of quarterly tax reports
- Ensure filing of 990 tax reports
- Ensure completion of annual audit
- Maintain Accounts payable checks semi-monthly or as needed
- Work with fundraisers on a budget/expense
- Maintain annual sick leave balances
- Liaison for Workers Comp annual audit
- Liaison for Insurance 403B changes
- Maintain Vendor contracts
- Allocation of expenses
- Maintain internal controls
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s in Business, Accounting, or related field preferred; CPA or pursuit of CPA preferred
- MBA degree desirable
- Training Requirements (licenses, programs, or certificates)
- Basic Accounting required; Financial Edge preferred; Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Knowledge of basic accounting required;
- Microsoft Office Suite required; especially Excel
- Ability to operate general office equipment (phones, faxes, copiers)
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks
- Initiative and willingness to suggest improvements required
- Detail-orientation required
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Literacy of appropriate software packages
- Good communications and people skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skill required
- IT strategy and HR management skills preferred
- Minimum of ten years experience including executive, financial, and/or operations management in a corporate, non-profit, or military organization.
- Non-profit Board experience and/or other experience promoting an understanding of issues facing non-profits preferred.
Executive Administration, Finance, IT Management, HR Management, and Project Management.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
Following established Accounting procedures, the Finance Manager will provide the Executive Director with timely reports on cash flow analysis and work to ensure the organization meets those needs on a proactive basis. The Finance Manager will report any issues or problems to the Managing Director as soon as possible. The Finance Manager will also work with the Executive Director to ensure compliance of all directors with established Accounting procedures.
This position involves a high level of judgment and understanding that inappropriate decisions could affect the financial wellbeing of the organization.
Some travel required, physical requirements, on-call schedules, and so on.
This position may occasionally require bending, reaching, and lifting up to 10 pounds.