First Book is temporarily working remote due to Covid-19 & has a mandatory vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 510,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the Position: Are you a high-energy operations professional who enjoys problem-solving, process improvement, and teamwork? First Book’s eCommerce Operations team is looking to add you to their team! eCommerce Operations is integral to First Book’s mission and oversees the movement of millions of books and nonbook resources to teachers and programs serving kids in need. Our mission is amazing and impactful, and the people who make it happen are dedicated, creative, smart, and passionate. It takes teamwork, critical thinking, and agility to keep the wheels in motion and ensure that resources are getting to the kids who need them most. For an enterprise as large as ours, we need a capable eCommerce Operations team responsible for the movement of both incoming and outgoing inventory, ensuring the greatest and best use of our time through streamlined operations and efficiencies so that our members have an excellent, consistent experience focused on their needs and expectations.
Candidates of interest must have some proven operations experience and will be able to demonstrate a keen sense for operational improvements, a strong interest and experience with eCommerce webstore management, and a passion for data-driven solutions. This role will have responsibility for execution of day-to-day functions of the eCommerce Operations team, as well as ongoing and varied initiatives that maintain and improve the health of the webstore. As an eCommerce Operations team member, you will need to demonstrate your skills and deliver educated, thoughtful ideas for ongoing process improvements that will yield increased revenue and a delightful member experience. This role will work most closely with colleagues on the eCommerce Operations team and will report to the team’s Manager and Senior Director. This role will also work closely with other internal teams, external vendors, shipping carriers, and third-party fulfillment warehouses to ensure that daily operations are meeting the needs of First Book and our members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: See below for a description of the types of work eCommerce Operations Coordinators are asked to complete daily. Other duties may be assigned, as necessary.
• Execute all aspects of the eCommerce Operation team’s regular workflow, including:
o Daily creation and transmission of order data to warehouse fulfillment partners or drop-ship supplier partners.
o Order status and order workflow management based on standard operating procedures.
o Resolve customer service inquiries related to orders and fulfillment, including short shipments, damaged orders, or returns to sender.
o Daily inventory adjustments and receiving of inventory into First Book’s systems based on provided by third-party warehouse fulfillment partners.
o SKU creation in First Book’s system and overview of corresponding SKU creation by third-party warehouse fulfillment partners.
• Maintain knowledge of First Book’s order placement processes, inventory management processes, and shipping/fulfillment processes for all partner warehouses and carriers.
• Execute procurement processes to order/reorder products for First Book’s webstores.
• Execute donation management processes to receive new donated products for First Book’s webstores.
• Coordinate detailed logistics including shipping, warehousing, storage, and inventory management with inventory vendors and donors, warehouse fulfillment partners, drop-shipment vendor partners, shipping/freight companies, and members nationwide.
• Write and update First Book’s SOPs related to eCommerce Operation’s processes.
• Assess, manage, and mitigate risks by reporting on and analyzing order data as part of large data projects, including but not limited to tracking receipt of books received by First Book (either through donation or purchase), tracking shipment of books distributed, and tracking inventory turn rates.
• Strategize, develop, and execute improvements to various products’ order fulfillment processes to reduce expense and increase accuracy/efficiency.
• Track and report key functional metrics to Director to reduce expenses and improve effectiveness.
• Work closely with the First Book Information Technology team on the continuous improvement and maintenance of operational systems.
• Work with the team’s Manager and Senior Director to determine performance indicators and lay out yearly planning to achieve them.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements: A successful eCommerce Operations Coordinator must be able to perform each essential duty listed above with ease. The qualifications and experience listed below are representative of the background we expect to see in your resume and documented in your cover letter.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
• At least 2 years working in a position with inventory management responsibilities including procurement, receiving, stocking, shipping, and billing.
• At least 2 years working in a position with retail or eCommerce order fulfillment responsibilities including customer order creation and troubleshooting, shipping, and delivery confirmation/troubleshooting with shipping carriers.
• Expertise with a computer and the ability to quickly learn new systems/software.
• Experience with Microsoft Office suite, especially Microsoft Excel, required. Microsoft Excel experience should be intermediate, at minimum.
• Experience writing standard operating procedures is required.
• Experience with manipulating, calculating, and analyzing complicated data to provide actionable process-development suggestions to the team.
• Typing proficiency (roughly 60 WPM) and accuracy (98%) is required.
• Understanding of File Transfer Protocol (FTP).
• This position requires exceptional detail-orientation, organization, and time-management skills to meet high-demand for deliverables and accuracy. This position will require regular check-ins with your team/managers regarding your status on completing deliverables and will require you commit to a very high level of accuracy in your daily work.
• This position requires exceptional prioritization and flexibility skills to achieve goals.
• Communication skills that are adaptive to your audience, both verbally and written, and have a reputation for superlative interpersonal skills, including juggling multiple balls while humming a tune.
• Willingness to engage in a team-driven atmosphere to problem solve and improve processes, while also being self-motivated to work alone for long periods of time without distraction.
• Experience with Salesforce or Magento is a plus.
After their first interview, applicants will be required to perform a Skills Assessment Test to be considered for this position and the Skills Assessment Test will include responses to hypothetical inventory and order management questions, Excel proficiency test, Basic Algebra proficiency test, and a written SOP sample test. You will also be asked to submit the results of an online typing test as well.
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Hybrid work environment - can work from home and office
• Dental & medical insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Eleven Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
Candidates are invited to submit a resume, and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying please reach out to us at email@example.com / 202-499-5935.
See what First Book has been up to!: