Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim. We support community leaders to fight climate change, protect the oceans, build just societies, and move away from fossil fuels toward a green economy. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
Pacific Environment seeks a full-time Finance & Operations Associate to help execute our operational and financial needs. This position is well-suited for someone interested in nonprofit administration who hopes to gain exceptional work experience and understands that well-run finance and operational activities are the backbone of any organization.
You will work on a team whose mission is to smoothly execute the full suite of operations and financial activities of Pacific Environment – including bookkeeping and budgetary work, hiring and onboarding colleagues, supporting technology and office needs, and fundraising and donor support. This position has strong potential for growth and promotion.
The position is based in our San Francisco headquarters. Our organization is actively reevaluating our in-office requirements and the possibilities of remote work.
Finance & Bookkeeping
- Execute or assist with the following:
- Processing accounts payable
- Processing checks and bank deposits
- Entering financial transactions in QuickBooks
- Annual audit preparation
- Manage filing of accounting-related documents, including grants and contracts
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist with hiring, onboarding, and other HR activities
- Handle or assist with tech issues (e.g., copier, computers, and phones)
- Work with external vendors, including IT, phone, and office cleaners
- Meet supply needs for colleagues
- Support office needs for physical offices and remote workplaces
- Provide logistical support for board/staff meetings and other Pacific Environment meetings or events
- Some general administrative tasks, when not handled by administrative assistant
Fundraising / Development
- Execute Salesforce donor data entries
- Process individual donations (online, mail) and acknowledgements
- Assist with processing of grant awards
- Assist in production and distribution of year-end appeal mailings and other materials
- 3+ years experience of relevant experience and increasing responsibilities in financial and operational execution, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Relevant academic degree(s) are a plus
- Previous work experience, particularly with environmental and social change organizations, a plus
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Meticulous attention to detail and quality of work product
- Ability to problem-solve and take ownership of assigned tasks
- Discretion in maintaining confidential information
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Bookkeeping experience
- Experience with QuickBooks preferred; experience and competency with Word and Excel necessary; experience with Dropbox and Salesforce a plus
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package for staff positions. The salary range for this position is $50,000-$63,000, which is carefully considered to account for equity. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
Send cover letter, resume, three references, and an answer to the following question by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Finance-Operations Associate” in the subject line.
- QUESTION: In no more than 250 words, tell us what you think are the two or three biggest mistakes nonprofit organizations typically make in meeting their operational and financial needs.
Applications encouraged by October 12, 2021. The position will remain open until filled, and we encourage even late applications. No phone calls, please.
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek. We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation and from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply.