Job Title: Job Placement Counselor
Department: Resettlement & Resource Navigation
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Daily
Supervisor: Senior Matching Grant and Financial Literacy Coordinator
Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
The Job Placement Counselor will provide one-on-one intensive employment coaching and job placement assistance to both refugee clients who are new to working in the United States and refugee clients who have been in the United States for less than five years. In addition, as a member of the employment team, the Job Placement Counselor will play a primary role in establishing connections with local employers for the purpose of matching clients with employment opportunities related to their education, job experience, and area of interest. The Job Placement Counselor position currently operates in a hybrid model, with rotating days working remotely, in the office, and out in the community.
- Provide client centered job placement services that are tailored to meet the individual needs of refugee clients with English proficiency and/or specific education and employment experience in their area of interest
- Evaluate clients experience and skills to determine appropriate employment positions
- Develop individualized job coaching and job search plans, including both short and long term goals and identification of barriers
- Provide job coaching on effective job search techniques, including networking and interviewing skills; assist with creation of resumes and cover letters
- Develop and maintain employer relationships to cultivate job leads through cold-calling, site visits, canvassing, and networking
- Actively recruit clients from refugee communities who are seeking job placement services
- Facilitate employment workshops on job search skills, labor laws, and United States workplace culture
- Provide and/or arrange client transportation for job interviews, on-the-job orientation, drug testing, and other related appointments throughout the hiring process
- Maintain strong relationship with employers; provide follow up after job placement
- Provide ongoing support throughout clients’ employment program enrollment, including assistance with overcoming barriers such as transportation and childcare
- Maintain accurate client files/case notes utilizing internal agency database
- Refer clients to both internal and external resources as needed
- Adhere to program service goals to ensure successful completion of government employment contracts
- Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly, and semi-annual reports
- Represents New American Pathways at employment events and partnership meetings as needed
- When applicable, provide language interpretation and translation assistance across departments as needed
- Follow agency guidelines for safe provision of in-person services; remains up-to-date on latest recommendations
- Attends required meetings and trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A personal passion to assist refugees and immigrants with acquiring employment
- Proven experience in providing intensive one on one goal setting via client centered case management services
- Flexibility and problem-solving skills; strong desire to assist clients with overcoming barriers to employment
- Exceptional speaking skills needed for crafting and implementing communication strategies for purpose of increasing employer partnerships and client recruitment
- Dynamic personality with high level of comfort with cold calling and onsite visits with employers
- Ability to establish strong supportive relationships with local employers
- Ability to effectively work remotely and utilize technology platforms including Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and internal office database
- Experience working as part of a team in a diverse, multicultural environment
- Cultural sensitivity; experience working with a diverse client base
- Driver’s license with up-to-date insurance, good driving record, and access to reliable personal vehicle.
- Comfortable with driving agency vehicles as needed
- Background Check
- Strong knowledge of key local industries/employers
- Expertise in job coaching and job placement
- Proven experience with job search tools
- Bilingual/multilingual in Dari, Pashto, Farsi, and/or Arabic
- Working knowledge of community resources related to vocational services
- Associates degree or higher in related field
This is a full-time, salaried position with a salary range of $34,500-$40,000 based on experience. Employer contributes to medical, dental and vision insurance. Employer pays life and disability insurance. Fourteen (14) paid holidays and a generous paid time off policy. Employee has the option to contribute to 401(k).
To apply please email your resume and cover letter with the subject line Job Placement Counselor to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or emails please.
New American Pathways is an Equal Opportunity Employer.