REMOTE WORK • CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES
Facilitation • Movement Building • Social Justice
Community Grocery • Cooperative Business
Attention social justice facilitators, do you value your energy and want to work on a team committed to making meaningful progress towards racial equity and food justice?
Would you like to leverage our organization’s connections with the natural foods industry, federal policymakers, local farming networks and community owned grocery stores nationwide to contribute to racial equity and food justice in the communities we serve? Are you fed by others’ success and does your service ethic keep you motivated? Are you willing to contribute your expertise to challenge conventional thinking within historically white-led organizations while meeting people where they are, advancing conversations, and lifting up promising practices?
National Co+op Grocers (NCG) is a member-owned purchasing and business service cooperative providing a variety of services to retail food co-ops in 38 states. NCG helps unify food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and offer more value to food co-op shoppers everywhere. NCG provides a fast-paced, dynamic work environment. We are a group of passionate, intelligent, and disciplined people working to improve the food supply and grow the cooperative economy. NCG is well suited for talented individuals seeking to make a difference in our world through their work.
We are seeking an energetic and experienced individual with a passion for healing communities while advancing racial equity and food justice movements. This position will develop resources, facilitate dialogue and lead initiatives that improve outcomes at the intersection of racial equity and food justice in NCG food co-op communities, including for staff, leadership, suppliers, member-owners, shoppers and the broader community.
This is an ideal position for community organizers or justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) professionals interested in building food co-ops’ capacity to positively contribute to racial equity and food justice outcomes in the communities they serve nationwide. This position may be based out of NCG’s St. Paul, MN office but is eligible for a home office anywhere in the continental U.S. Up to 15% travel required including overnights and weekends when business travel resumes more broadly. Individuals who can contribute to NCG’s diversity of identities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. NCG is a historically white-led organization; since 2018 we have engaged a consultant to improve diversity and inclusion within our workplace.
This newly created position will be working alongside a Sustainability Specialist and Advocacy Manager reporting to the Senior Director of Advocacy and Sustainability, who reports to the CEO. Our small team values collaboration and mutual support. We understand that systemic racism cannot be healed in a day, and that no one person can do it alone.
- Seek to understand the NCG food co-op system, workforce demographics and culture with respect to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Facilitate virtual and/or in person listening sessions, committees and/or workshops that motivate food co-op staff to take meaningful action in the areas they influence.
- Lift up promising practices and resources that build co-ops’ capacity to make a positive contribution to racial equity and food justice movements.
- Recommend human resource policies and practices that attract, retain, develop and promote diverse talent within the NCG food co-op system, in accordance with employment law and EEOC regulations.
- At least five years professional or volunteer experience in service to at least one community harmed and/or oppressed by systemic policies and practices of the dominant culture (examples include but are not limited to Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Immigrant and LGBTQIA); required.
- Strong public speaking and facilitation skills; ability to quickly identify microaggressions and call a transgressor in; ability to navigate conflict while advancing relationships and conversations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in human resources management, education, community development, political science, psychology, social work, social justice, or related studies is a plus, but not required.
- Familiarity with the food system and/or cooperatives preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of employment law and EEOC regulations is a plus, but not required.
Apply By: October 17, 2021
Benefits, benefits, benefits! Our team members are our most-valued asset; we offer a generous salary and benefits package including 4 weeks PTO at hire, medical, dental, vision, company paid Life/ Disability/ Long Term Care insurance, HSA/FSA with company contribution, a matching 401K plan with profit sharing and much, much more.
We are a learning organization on a continuous journey to build a positive and inclusive culture that values a diversity of ideas, perspectives and identities. We foster an environment where everyone is treated with dignity and respect, where we are inspired by our work and proud of our contributions.
Individuals with Disabilities - National Co+op Grocers wants all interested and qualified candidates to be able to use this career site to review and apply for employment opportunities. If you have a disability and need an accommodation to access this site, please contact us for assistance at (866) 709-2667 ext. 2992.
Equal Opportunity - National Co+op Grocers is an equal opportunity employer. We hire qualified individuals without regard to age, race, color, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, status with regard to public assistance, pregnancy, physical/sensory/mental disability, genetic disposition, veteran or military status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, arrest or conviction record, or any other protected category in accordance with applicable laws.
About NCG: National Co+op Grocers (NCG), founded in 1999, is a business services cooperative for retail food co-ops located throughout the United States. We represent 148 food co-ops operating over 200 stores in 38 states with combined annual sales over $2.3 billion and over 1.3 million consumer-owners. NCG helps unify natural food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and ultimately offer more value to natural food co-op owners and shoppers everywhere. By providing a variety of purchasing, management, development, marketing and other services, our co-ops are able to gain many of the advantages large grocery chains enjoy, while still reflecting the unique qualities of their local communities. For a map of NCG member and associate co-ops, visit our Find-a-Co-op page. To learn more about co-ops, visit www.welcometothetable.coop.