The Habeas Corpus Resource Center (HCRC) in San Francisco is recruiting for a full-time Receptionist.
The primary purpose of the HCRC is to represent indigent death row inmates in post-conviction habeas corpus proceedings in state and federal courts and to serve as a resource to private appointed counsel in capital post-conviction proceedings. The HCRC has an authorized staff of 86 people, including 34 attorneys. Additional information about the HCRC can be found at www.hcrc.ca.gov.
Under supervision, the receptionist acts as the initial public contact person for callers and/or visitors to the HCRC, provides factual information regarding functions, services, and activities; and performs related work as assigned.
RESPONSIBILITIES (Illustrative only)
- Acts as the receptionist for the HCRC;
- Answers the telephone, determines the purpose of the call, and directs calls, including inquiries from the media, to the appropriate staff person;
- Accepts collect calls from death-sentenced prisoners and logs all collect calls; assists in placing special calls;
- Asks office visitors the purpose of their visits and contacts the HCRC employees they ask to see;
- Performs a variety of basic office support and clerical duties, such as collating materials, stuffing envelopes, creating simple reports, scanning, and sending faxes as requested;
- Tracks staff availability and pages staff when necessary;
- Operates personal computer and a variety of office equipment;
- Monitors office and visitors and alerts security if necessary.
WORKING CONDITIONS May be restricted to work area for long periods of time. May be required to work overtime and on weekends and holidays.
SALARY RANGE: $3898 - $4733 per month
Equivalent to graduation from high school and two years of receptionist experience; OR One year as a Receptionist I with the Judicial Branch of the State of California.
- Office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of office equipment.
- The operation of personal computers and the use of specified computer applications, such as word processing and basic data entry.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Record-keeping principles and practices.
- Techniques for dealing effectively with staff, judges, court personnel, clients, and others in person and over the telephone.
- Basic principles of office security.
- Communicate effectively in person and over the telephone;
- Interact tactfully and effectively with those contacted in the course of the work;
- Determine the nature of a call or visit quickly and effectively and appropriately direct the call or visitor;
- Operate telephone and paging systems;
- Understand and follow oral and written directions;
- Perform detailed office support work accurately;
- Safely operate standard office equipment;
- Organize and maintain accurate files and records;
- Organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical deadlines;
- Operate personal computers and use specified computer applications, such as word processing and basic data entry;and
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
HOW TO APPLY
The Habeas Corpus Resource Center is an equal opportunity employer. The HCRC believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances the performance of our organization and the quality of representation that we provide to a diverse client base. The HCRC welcomes all applicants, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, or military and veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
This position requires submission of an official application and response to the supplemental questionnaire. The application and supplemental questionnaire are located at: http://www.hcrc.ca.gov/hiring.php
Please submit the following documents to JobApplications@hcrc.ca.gov:
- a cover letter (optional), with the title “Cover Letter 081721”;
- the online application, with the title"Application081721”;
- resume (optional), with the title "Resume 081721”;
- and answers to the supplemental questions, with the title "Supp. Questions 081721.”
In order for us to consider your application, please submit all required materials.
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
Review of application materials will take place upon receipt. Application materials will be accepted until the position is filled. Every application is reviewed in its entirety. Candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of HCRC will be contacted to participate in the interview process. All applicants will be notified when the recruitment has been closed. Due to current pandemic conditions, we request that applicants refrain from in-person pick up or delivery of applications.
BENEFIT PACKAGE HIGHLIGHTS
- Health/Dental/Vision benefits program
- 13 paid holidays per calendar ear
- Choice of Annual Leave or Sick/VacationL eave
- 1 personal holiday pery ear
- $130 transit pass subsidy per month
- CalPers Retirement Plan
- 401(k) and 457 deferred compensation plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
- FlexElect Program
- Long Term Care Program (employee paid/optional)
- Group Legal Plan (employee paid/optional)