Part Time Non-Profit Accountant & Finance Manager
Global Village Project (GVP) is a special-purpose middle school for refugee girls with interrupted schooling. Our mission is to reactivate the education of refugee girls so that they can access all of the benefits of a holistic education. Located in Decatur, Georgia, the school’s full day academic program serves students ages 11-18.
The role of the Non-Profit Accountant & Finance Manager is to provide oversight and supervise the management of all of the organization’s financial and material resources, including grant funding received by GVP and to ensure compliance and accountability in the use of donor funds. This team member is involved in financial management from the opportunity development and budgeting phase through the completion and submission of final reports, where applicable. The team member develops and maintains grant tracking documents, processes payroll and all financial transactions and leads the internal audit process and has responsibility for overseeing the audit and compliance function, as well as working with the the CEO & Head of School (HOS) and the Board Finance Committee and to ensure organizational financial wellness.
- Responsible for key financial management including maintaining all financial records including the trial balance, financial performance and financial analysis, e.g. grants receivable, restricted funds, etc.
- Review and regulate application of financial policies and procedures in the operations of GVP.
- Process the payments and transfers to vendors, preparation of purchase vouchers, accounting records with respect to invoices, cashbook and payment vouchers for all payments, coordinate approval and/or payment for all invoices, check requests, and other expenses related to GVP including rents, utility bills, vendors and suppliers.
- Maintain detailed financial records in accordance with current non-profit accounting standards, presents monthly financials to the Board Finance Committee
- Support staff /Board members serving as bank agents for GVP accounts, oversee the management of petty cash by designated custodian.
- Prepare Bank reconciliation statements for all bank accounts. Supervise the management of vendors and ensure regular reconciliation of payments.
- Process and manage payroll, ensuring that staff are paid twice a month and that all applicable deductions are correctly accounted for and employment taxes are paid on time. Produce 1099s for contractors.
- Serve as the primary point person for all finance related inquiries and queries
- Ensure transactions are properly recorded into the computerized accounting system
- Review and maintain fixed Asset Register for all GVP assets
- Collaborate with Development staff to develop new grant proposals budgets and track compliance with existing restricted awards. Work with leadership team to maintain proper program and administrative budget allocations
- Provide leadership in the creation of the annual organizational budget, associated documents, and on going forecast
- Conduct monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts
- Attend Board Finance Committee Meetings and provide information as requested
- Support annual audits to ensure clean audits. The audits should assess compliance with the organization’s financial policies, an office’s legal requirements, HR policies, grants requirements, budget review, internal controls and appropriate protocols.
- Ensure good sound accounting systems practices and internal controls.
- Masters, Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent diploma in Accounting or Finance with at least 5 years experience
- Extensive knowledge of preparing financial business reports and statements
- Experience working with not-for-profit organizations
- Proficiency in Quickbooks, Windows 98/XP, MS office suit (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and internet usage
- Well versed in GAAP, taxation, auditing/Quality Assurance; conversant with US State and Federal reporting standards and knowledge of managerial and cost accountancy
- Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes/procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
- Strong organizational, time management, and active listening skills
- Attention to detail and proven ability to work independently and within a group under strict deadlines on multiple projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain confidentiality
Job Type: Part time (25-30 hours per week)
Salary range is $37,500 to $43,000. While the main responsibilities of this role will necessitate working onsite regularly, we believe in the importance of flexibility and offer limited telecommute opportunities. GVP provides the opportunity to work within a vibrant community dedicated to teaching and learning, social justice, and service. We are located in downtown Decatur, across the street from the Decatur MARTA station. The position requires a criminal background check.
GVP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, social class, marital status, national origin, disability, gender, or sexual orientation. We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We especially encourage applications from women, people of color, and those with refugee and immigrant backgrounds who are excited about contributing to our mission.
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Non-Profit Accountant” in the subject line. Resumes and cover letters can also be mailed to Global Village Project c/o Denise Reidy-Puckett, P.O. Box 1548, Decatur, GA 30031. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.