Director of Finance & Accounting
Do you want to be part of an energetic, inspired, and creative team that is making a huge difference in our world?
Do you have a love for humanity and care about ending poverty? Are you fulfilled by working as a team to support people in discovering their purpose and living into their aspirations? Are you a bold, strategic thinker with a passion for numbers, spreadsheets, writing formulas in excel, and converting data into visually appealing presentations and reports? Are you a systematic and detail-oriented person who loves to fuel the success of your team?
What if you could take all of your operational problem solving gifts, talents, and experience and use them to make an impact on people and the planet? You can! Plant With Purpose is looking for you.
Plant with Purpose is a global Christian organization that addresses issues of deforestation and climate change, while empowering people to lift their communities out of rural poverty. For more than 30 years, Plant With Purpose has been a leader in operating at the nexus of Environmental Restoration, Economic Development, and Spiritual Impact. We believe that we honor God when we honor people and our planet. Come join our growing team and make a difference at this critical time in human history.
Plant With Purpose THRIVE 25 Strategy Statement: Inspired by the impact of our work in service to rural communities around the world, we are driven to grow our programs to help address the rising need. By 2025, we plan to work in 10 countries, over 80 watersheds, and directly serve nearly 900,000 people. Our revenue will exceed $19 million as we seek to become the premier organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration and poverty alleviation.
On July 1, 2020 we launched a new strategic period where we plan to ambitiously grow 80% over the next 5 years, and this position is a significant part of achieving this goal. Plant With Purpose is looking for a Director of Finance & Accounting to join our Management Team and provide the organization with general oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities, as well as internal IT and Cybersecurity systems. This role will require both high-level financial management and hands-on accounting.
As the Director of Finance & Accounting, you will lead all day-to-day finance operations including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, internal controls, internal and external reporting requirements, and the annual audit. You will work with the V.P. of Finance and Administration (VPFA) and the Finance Team to prepare presentations to the board finance and audit committee. You will also be responsible for ensuring that Plant With Purpose has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and fundraising efforts, and conduct flawless audits.
While this position is most significantly focused on US financial operations, you will function as an “internal consultant” to the International Programs Team on the continuous improvement of our global finance and accounting systems.
As a leader of the Finance & Accounting Team, you will report to the V.P. of Finance & Administration. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Financial & Accounting Systems Management
- Lead the Finance & Accounting Team on all matters related to finance and accounting systems. Current team includes one full-time and one part-time position.
- Work with the Finance & Accounting Team to consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes, and keep VPFA abreast of the Plant With Purpose’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with staff and management.
- Engage in a process of the continuous improvement of finance and administrative systems to best support organization-wide operations and maintain the integrity of financial records.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain the organization’s internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenue, cash disbursements, and payroll.
- Oversee and work closely with the Finance & Accounting Specialist’s leadership of all audit activity.
- Lead the annual budgeting and planning process, and work closely with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) in the development of their annual departmental budgets and adhering to budget timelines.
- Provide ongoing support to managers at all levels on team budget management, including updating reporting systems to meet internal needs. Monitor and revise budgets as needed to meet annual fiscal objectives and metrics.
- Administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate. Advise VPFA throughout the process and recommend key adjustments.
- Collaborate with the Finance & Accounting Team to produce financial reports for funding proposals and progress reports; serve as the approval voice for data checking budget and other financial numbers for proposals and reports.
- Ensure the Finance & Accounting Team’s regulatory compliance with IRS, California Attorney General, Registry of Charitable Trusts, and other state registration agencies.
- Collaborate with the VPFA in managing Plant With Purpose’s 401K plan, including plan revisions, plan compliance, employer matching, employee participation goals, and more.
Support the V.P., Finance & Administration
Collaborate and support your direct supervisor in the following ways:
- Support the VPFA and other Senior Leadership Team efforts in achieving the overall mission of the organization.
- Work closely with the VPFA, in conjunction with the larger Senior Leadership Team, to creatively and effectively lead Plant With Purpose through a significant planned growth phase over the next 4 years and beyond. This will include working with the VPFA to:
- identify challenges, research alternatives, and propose innovative solutions for fiscal issues or trends;
- develop agile financial and accounting systems and processes;
- pivot quickly when necessary;
- support other SLT members and ad hoc project teams across the organization by serving as the “finance lens” in the development of innovative and strategic fundraising products and initiatives
- Advise the VPFA on Plant With Purpose’s ongoing financial health, and work as a team on continually developing and improving strategy for organizational effectiveness.
- Support the VPFA in Plant With Purpose's strategic plan monitoring system, which includes:
- making official adjustments to the plan;
- managing the quarterly update process alongside SLT;
- producing reports and presentation slide decks for board, management team, and all staff trainings;
- data check external reports
- Work with the Finance & Accounting Team in developing quarterly financial reports for the Board of Directors and various board committees; submit to the VPFA and discuss highlights to report to the board and board committees.
IT and Cybersecurity
Oversee the functions of IT (in absence of dedicated IT personnel, delegating out area-related tasks to appropriate personnel and external consultants).
- Oversee basic IT systems and needs of the organization, such as intra- and inter-networks and connectivity, internal telecommunications, computers, and other electronic equipment.
- Oversee organization wide cybersecurity systems, and more directly support the Finance & Accounting Specialist in decisions and implementation.
- Work closely with VPFA and Finance Team to shift current IT and Cybersecurity systems to better service a hybrid workforce, which may include researching and managing external consultants.
Global Finance & Accounting Operations
- Work closely with the International Programs Team on finance and accounting procedures.
- Explore how the finance function can best support program operations.
- Continuously collaborate to assess and grow the financial efficacy of program operations.
- You will foster a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and belonging; and, as a senior leader, uphold and model Plant With Purpose’s Core Values in your behaviors and actions with our local staff and global partners.
- You will actively support the professional development and growth endeavors of the International Programs Team.
- As a supervisor, you will be responsible for upholding our SEEDS performance development philosophy:
- Support team members through coaching, developing, and cultivating
- Engage team members via discussion, participation, and relating to them
- Empower team members through feedback, collaboration, and authentic interactions
- Do by being strategic-minded and action-oriented
- Succeed - Enable team members to succeed in their performance, team cohesion, and individual and team effectiveness
WHAT WE'LL LOVE ABOUT YOU
Education and Experience
- Bachelors in finance, accounting, or related field
- Active CPA license
- 10-20 years experience in nonprofit finance and accounting
- At least 5 years experience leading a finance/accounting team
- Experience leading a Finance & Accounting Team through a period of organizational growth
- Demonstrated ability to supervise accounting functions and solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Experienced user of Quickbooks Online and know how to adapt it to a nonprofit accounting setting
- You have keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills, and capacity to synthesize data in ways that allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- You have strong interpersonal and communication skills, and have the ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
- You have strong project management skills, including time management, organizational skills, ability to set realistic deadlines, delegation, and effectively communicating with other team members.
- You are technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with vendors.
- You have advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- You have experience assisting with culturally complex, sensitive, or confidential projects— including a demonstrated ability to listen and deal empathetically with a wide range of people and cultural groups.
- You have a commitment to mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; and the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
- You have the ability to initiate, self start, and lead a team to seek out solutions and action-oriented approaches.
- You approach team-based work as a servant leader.
- You lead through vulnerability by being open and authentic in order to inspire credibility and trust.
- You are able to bring people from divergent cultures toward constructive engagement and dialogue.
- You act with courage and clear intent in the face of challenges, in an authentic, engaging, and self-effacing way.
- You have the ability to implement and oversee an action-oriented approach to problem-solving and process improvement.
- You have competency to manage conflict in culturally appropriate ways.
- You have a thirst for consistently doing your best work and an eagerness to learn.
- You are willing to occasionally work overtime as needed.
- You are fluent in the use of MacOS, Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) and Google Suite products (GDrive, GDocs, GSheets).
- Experience in leading a team through an accounting software change
- Experience living or working in a developing country or cross-cultural setting
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
We are a collaborative, interdependent team that relies on relating and supporting each other to achieve our goals. Through the way we live within and shape our culture, we seek to build community and a sense of belonging in our local, national, and global families. Being a member of the Plant With Purpose team as the Director of Finance & Accounting will require you to be a coach, a strategist, a communicator, a learner, and an includer in the following ways:
- You deeply resonate with the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower.
- You have a personal alignment with our organizational core values of faith, collaboration, empowerment, innovation, stewardship, and sustainability.
- You have a love for humanity, including those who live in poverty, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or culture.
- You intentionally build community and a team mentality by pursuing the "we" over the "me.”
- You understand the priority of relationships in getting work done.
- You feel most successful as a leader/team member when each person on the team succeeds.
- You reflexively express gratitude and growth-oriented feedback.
- You think with a whole-system's lens when implementing a piece of it.
- You accept feedback with a growth mindset.
- You listen with an intent to understand and ask clarifying questions.
- You seek out learning and development opportunities for yourself and others.
- You strive to be an inclusive person by being aware of the existence and impact of your unconscious biases, and working daily to check them.
Dependent on geographical location, experience, and skillset. Range is available upon request.
- Health, dental, and vision insurances
- Group life insurance
- 401k match, up to 8%. Eligibility begins after 6 months of employment
- 15 paid vacation days
- 8 paid sick days
- 12 paid holidays
- $75/month home office stipend
This is a remote-based position.
On the average workday, you will be based out of your home office. We will require you to visit the San Diego office at least once per year to visit with our team. Other travel requirements will be infrequent (1-3 trips per year), with domestic or international travel to program sites possible but not required. International travel would be in remote and physically arduous conditions.
*Please note that due to COVID-19, international travel has been cancelled for the time being.
START DATE: Ideally, December 6, 2021
APPLY BY: October 1, 202
All interviews will be conducted virtually via Zoom.
Does this sound like you? If so, please apply on our website at plantwithpurpose.org/careers. Please include a Cover Letter with your application that shows us how you are a great fit for this position, the organization, and our culture.
Plant With Purpose is an EEO/AA employer by choice. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a positive and inclusive work environment for all employees.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, please email Human Resources at email@example.com. No phone calls please