MIG, Inc. is a national firm specializing in planning, design, communications, management, science, and technology. We believe that the environment around us has a profound impact on our lives and our shared vision: is of a world where people, communities, and ecosystems thrive. For nearly 40 years, MIG has engaged the talents and vitality of top professionals who plan, design, and sustain environments that support human development. Our team members are passionate about their work and share a common desire to engage closely with our clients and the communities impacted by our work.
We are seeking a mid-level Social Policy / Community Engagement Project Associate to join our diverse team in our Berkeley office. MIG’s offices are currently closed due to COVID, and all staff are working remotely. This position will need to be in-person with some potential for occasional remote work when we eventually re-open. Proof of vaccination is required at MIG for future in-person work.
Responsibilities – What You’ll Accomplish
- Collaborative Teammate: You will work as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team that focuses on community-centric planning and design: policy and strategic planning, public outreach and information, facilitation and consensus-building, and organizational development and training.
- Project Work: You will support a team of policy planners and will participate in all aspects of project planning and implementation, including group facilitation, research, writing, development of materials, meeting support, content analysis, administration, and client contact. You will also interact often with diverse members of communities during public engagement activities and to convey ideas both graphically and in written form.
- Project Types: The projects you will typically work on will include social policy, public health, equity-centered training and visioning, and strategic planning. This is a full-time, hourly position. MIG works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening, and weekend work will be required for community engagement, site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
Experience and Qualifications for Success – What We’d Like to See
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you have some combination of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning, public policy, public health, urban studies, social sciences, or related field. (A Master’s degree in complementary field is a plus)
- You are local or willing to relocate to the Berkeley area when in-person work resumes with our clients and the communities in which we work.
- Relevant consulting experience in planning, urban design, policy, strategic planning, community engagement or a closely related field.
- The ability to facilitate and lead working meetings, and small and large group discussions.
- Ability to speak easily and clearly in front of groups and can participate in small and large group discussions.
- Able to produce high-quality work products, including but not limited to meeting or research summaries; planning document and poster board layouts; and mapping.
- You have strong skills in graphics and document presentation and written and verbal communication.
- You are an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others.
- You have software proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Pro and Zoom. Survey Monkey, and Adobe Creative Suite software skills are a plus.
- As a plus, you are bilingual in Spanish, Cantonese, or Mandarin to communicate with some of the communities in which we work.
How to Apply
If this position sounds like a fit for your skillsets and you are passionate about creating and improving communities, we would love to hear from you! Please email your resume, writing or work sample, and a descriptive cover letter as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resumes received before October 15, 2021, will be given first consideration.
MIG values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer; we encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Our teams enjoy a flexible work schedule, a rewarding work environment, and a creative atmosphere that allows for professional development and career advancement opportunities while promoting team spirit and genuine camaraderie. We offer a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, FSA, and HRA with employer contributions and 401K matching. Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Candidates may be required to take a skills assessment in planning, conducting presentations, and/or budget and scope drafting.