Position Title: Chief of Staff
ABOUT SAN FRANCISCO GENERAL HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation (SFGHF) is a dynamic and growing nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting equity in healthcare at the Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG).
A comprehensive medical center, Zuckerberg San Francisco General provides quality health care with compassion and respect to 100,000 in-patient and 500,000 outpatient visits per year, including some of San Francisco’s most vulnerable. It is the only provider of trauma (Level 1) and 24‐hour psychiatric emergency services for 1.5 million people in San Francisco and northern San Mateo counties. ZSFG has been in partnership with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) to provide health care for over 150 years. Through an affiliation agreement that dates back to the 1800s, UCSF provides all the physicians for Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center.
In 2016, Zuckerberg San Francisco General opened a new acute care hospital for which the Foundation conducted a successful $150 million capital campaign. The new Chief of Staff will be joining the Foundation at an exciting time as it prepares for accelerated growth tied to an ambitious strategic plan to advance public health in San Francisco.
Health equity in both access and quality are essential to SFGHF’s mission. Equity will be realized when everyone has the opportunity to achieve their health potential, regardless of social position, economic status and systemic racism. SFGHF’s fundraising efforts support health equity by allowing underserved populations to receive the same level of healthcare – including beautiful physical settings and state of the art equipment -- as provided by the best private hospitals. The Foundation has funded and will continue to fund new models of care and innovative programs that address equity, access and quality health care for all.
CONTEXT FOR THE CHIEF OF STAFF
Established in 1993, the San Francisco General Hospital Foundation was founded to provide ZSFG with the financial resources needed to ensure that it remains one of the nation’s finest public hospitals, delivering exceptional comprehensive healthcare and trauma services to anyone in need. SFGHF raises and deploys funds for patient services, facilities, equipment purchases, and innovative programs.
SFGHF is at in important inflection point that drives the need for a Chief of Staff. Its new five-year strategic plan adopted in June 2021 lays out the values, resources, planned goals, activities, and associated outcomes which will propel SFGHF towards achieving its goal of raising $250 million to achieve public health equity in San Francisco– more than was raised in SFGHF’s first 30 years.
The Foundation and the Hospital both have racially diverse staffs—SFGHF's staff is 66% non-white—and the Hospital serves a racially-diverse population. At both SFGHF and ZSFG, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion principles inform and guide our work and are built into our strategic plans. BIPOC candidates are warmly welcomed and strongly encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) the Chief of Staff is a key member of the San Francisco General Hospital Foundation leadership team. The role is meant to enhance internal leadership so that the CEO can focus externally on the expansive fundraising and community relations goals of the strategic plan.
A newly created role, the Chief of Staff (CoS), will be vital to organizational operations, management of growth and completion of special projects. The CoS will work closely with the CEO across a portfolio of ongoing responsibilities and one-time projects spanning a range of organizational initiatives and functions. The CoS will partner closely with the Senior Leadership Team which includes the CEO, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Development Officer, and Chief External Relations and Communications Officer.
A major focus of this role will be developing and implementing strategies to bring the 5-year 2022 - 2026 strategic plan to life, and both monitoring and reporting on the strategic plan progress to the Board. The CoS role will work in tandem with the Leadership Team to strengthen overall organizational effectiveness as the organization scales.
The Chief of Staff will be responsible for building organizational capacity and culture by partnering with the CEO to “build the board of the future” and by taking the lead on programs that will invest in the professional development and wellness of the staff team. Equally important will be intentionally developing and operationalizing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) efforts across all aspects of our work. This role will set the tone and design the underpinnings for SFGHF to become a learning organization based on its core values: equity, caring, collaboration, commitment, community and trust.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A skilled generalist, the CoS must possess strong communication, operational, and project management skills, and be confident and adaptable in the face of ambiguity. The CoS will need to get up to speed on new initiatives quickly and problem-solve independently while working collaboratively across the organization.
- Support the CEO by coordinating, monitoring and following up on activities, researching and providing information and preparing reports and correspondence as needed.
- Monitor and evaluate the strategic plan’s progress and develop related reporting to the Board in collaboration with the CEO, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Development Officer and Chief External Relations & Communications Officer.
- Prepare and advise the CEO as needed for speaking engagements, public events and government meetings in collaboration with the CFO, CDO and CERCO.
- Facilitate and organize the agenda for the Senior Team weekly meetings.
- Collaborate with the CEO to set the agenda, facilitate and provide staff leadership to the Board Governance Committee to fulfill its charge to recruit and nominate new directors, manage board affairs and implement bylaws.
- Collaborate with the CEO to set the agenda, facilitate and provide staff leadership for Board of Directors’ Executive Committee meetings in preparation for the full Board meetings.
- Collaborate with the CEO and Executive Assistant/Board Liaison on the Board agenda and Board Book and all aspects of producing effective Board meetings.
- Supervise the Executive Assistant/Board Liaison to review and edit minutes from Governance, Executive and Board meetings for CEO final review.
- Organize, lead and facilitate the Staff Wellness and Engagement Committee.
- Organize, lead and facilitate the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
- Collaborate with the HR outsourcing firm on “all staff survey’s” periodically and other ways to engage staff.
- Hire consultants for EDI training and EDI implementation into all elements of the organization.
- Depending on the CEO and organizational needs, this role may co-supervise the Executive Assistant/Board Liaison on specific projects.
- Participate in a mix of program and leadership meetings to be up to date on organizational initiatives to provide guidance and leadership in cross-organizational projects and operational workflows.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Some combination of the experience listed below is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated interest in public health, healthcare, equity, and/or medicine preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of leadership experience with an ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of context-switching and ambiguity
- 10+ years of demonstrated familiarity with administrative and operational literacy and understanding of non-profit principles and management
- Comfort working across different, sometimes unfamiliar issue areas at both strategic and tactical levels, with various stakeholders
- Passion for and experience in social impact/change
- Experience as a change agent with strong change management skills is beneficial
- Ability to craft effective presentations and correspondence
- Successful track record working with high-level volunteers, donors and social leaders
- Meeting facilitation skills
- Commitment to excellence
- Strong, demonstrable commitment to upholding equity, diversity, and inclusion values
- Computer proficiency and ability to learn new systems quickly
- Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, research, and analytical skills
- Available and willing to work very occasional evenings and weekend as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
COMPENSATION AND APPLICATION INFORMATION
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation offers a competitive compensation package based upon experience, and benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance as well as professional development opportunities, 403(b) retirement plan, life & AD&D insurance, commuter discounts and vacation.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with your first and last name and Chief of Staff in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applications, please refrain from telephone calls, visits, faxes or emails (other than submissions) to the Foundation directly.
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation is committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against individuals based on race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, age, AIDS/HIV status, height, weight, physical or mental disability, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, the San Francisco General Hospital Foundation will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For more information about the Foundation and Zuckerberg San Francisco General, please visit sfghf.org.