The Institute for Women’s Policy Research (IWPR) is the nation’s preeminent think tank committed to achieving economic equity for women and eliminating structural and institutional barriers to women’s full participation in the workforce and society.
IWPR’s mission is to build knowledge and evidence to support policies that help grow women’s economic power and influence in society, close inequality gaps, and improve the economic security and well-being of girls, women, and families. We generate the ideas that build power and economic equity for all women.
Statement on Racial Equity and Intersectionality
At IWPR, we believe social and economic mobility in the United States is determined and influenced by race, ethnicity, class, gender identity, sexual orientation, and other markers of difference. In working to achieve economic equity and to better understand the experiences of all women in the workforce and in society, we use both racial equity and intersectional frameworks in our research and analysis to help generate strategies and solutions that are grounded in the economic realities of women and families.
IWPR seeks a Vice President of Advancement and Philanthropic Engagement to manage the organization’s fundraising and development activities, including establishing and managing the infrastructure to raise funds to build its core research programs and initiatives. The Vice President of Advancement and Philanthropic Engagement is responsible for overseeing all revenue-generating activities–including individual giving, corporate and foundation giving, planned giving, and identifying new revenue streams–with the goal of expanding and diversifying the organizations donor base to meet the organization’s fundraising goals.
IWPR has grown rapidly over the past year, doubling its operating budget and expanding its reach in the field. The Vice President of Advancement and Philanthropic Engagement will play a key role in developing fundraising strategies and cultivating strategic relationships with new and existing partners to ensure sustained organizational growth and impact.
The ideal candidate for the role is an entrepreneurial, goal-oriented, and relationship-driven collaborative leader. They are a proven nonprofit fundraising professional with experience cultivating major donors, soliciting support for research and policy-advocacy, and meeting or exceeding revenue goals. They have excellent writing skills and have the ability to develop compelling messaging and content across all communication channels including print, digital and television.
This position is based in Washington, DC and is full-time, exempt. The Vice President, Advancement and Philanthropic Engagement is a part of the Executive Leadership team and reports to the President/CEO of the Institute for Women’s Policy Research (IWPR).
LEADERSHIP DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Advancement Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement a cohesive fundraising and development strategy
- Work closely with Vice President of Communications and External Affairs to deepen IWPR’s impact in the field, and engage new and existing partners
- Provide fundraising support and assistance to IWPR senior researchers
- Nurture and expand existing funding relationships and cultivate new sources–both project-based and unrestricted
- Lead and manage the Development Committee of IWPR’s Board of Directors
- Serve as a member of the Executive leadership team
Fundraising and Development Core Competencies
- Proven track record raising support, including six-seven figure gifts or investments, from public and private foundations, and individual or major donors
- Ability to cultivate and solicit gifts independently or with the President and CEO, Program Directors, staff and members of the Board of Directors
- Ability to write, review and approve solicitations, proposals and other communications prepared for donors to ensure quality and accuracy
- Develop a small donor digital giving program and other fundraising activities to diversify our donor base
- Diversify and pursue new revenue streams to increase IWPR’s long-term fiscal health including tracking revenue and fundraising trends in order to identify future opportunities for expansion
- Plan and manage effective high to mid-level donor events
- Oversee the creation of all written fundraising materials, including grant proposals, reports, appeal letters, annual reports, and event invitations
Financial Management and Supervisory Duties
- Manage the Development department’s annual operating budget and revenue plan
- Participate, as required, in the annual financial audit
- Manage and provide strategic direction to Development staff
- Maintain an environment that attracts, retains and motivates a diverse team of top quality development staff
- Help support and maintain donor database ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of information (capture, personal information, relationships)
- Partner with the Director of Grants and Contracts and the Director of Finance to enhance and maintain gift processing policies and procedures, as well as to ensure thorough and accurate record-keeping
- Establish and maintain appropriate Development policies and procedures
A Master’s degree or equivalent experience/expertise in a related field and at least 10 years of experience in senior level development position.
This position is classified as an Administrative V position in IWPR's compensation program. The salary for Vice President, Advancement & Philanthropic Engagement is $150,000 to $185,000 and will be commensurate with experience. To learn more about the IWPR compensation program and role structures, please click HERE. IWPR also offers a competitive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via our Careers Portal HERE. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. IWPR is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.