Founded in 1989, Urban Habitat’s mission is to democratize power and advance equitable policies to create a just and connected Bay Area for low-income communities and communities of color. We bring race and class to the forefront of transportation, land use, and housing policies to create a more equitable region.
Vallejo Housing Justice Coalition Short-Term Campaign Canvassers
Urban Habitat and the Vallejo Housing Justice Coalition (VHJC) are hiring canvassers to help conduct community outreach.
Since 2018, Urban Habitat has been working with resident leaders to establish and implement an affordable housing strategy to address housing insecurity and affordability in Vallejo. Resident leaders formally came together in 2019, naming themselves the Vallejo Housing Justice Coalition (VHJC). VHJC is composed of community members, policy advocates and organizations that come together to fight for affordable housing in Vallejo. VHJC believes that housing is a human right, and is committed to working with the city and community groups in Vallejo to ensure that everyone in our city has a safe and stable home regardless of race, culture, age, and sexual orientation.
To continue to develop and implement a housing justice agenda, the VHJC is seeking to hire canvassers to help conduct outreach to increase community engagement and spread awareness of tenant rights.
This position will be a consultant role. Canvassers are expected to work approximately 10 to 20 hours a week over the course of approximately four months and will be paid $25 per hour.
Summary of Duties/Responsibilities:
- Talk to residents about issues in our community through various outreach activities, including:
- Tabling at community events
- Door knocking
- Phone banking
- Collect and maintain data
- Complete accurate reports
- Willingness and desire to learn about and talk about current community issues especially housing
- Must be reliable and committed to working every day of the assignment. This means up to five hours per day, five days a week. All canvassers will be assigned to both text-banking and canvassing door-to-door.
- Ability to walk for at least 3 hours daily to canvas door-to-door. Canvassers will need to walk up to 10-12 city blocks in a shift.
- Ability to read, memorize and deliver a page long script in English. Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred.
- Automobile with current driver's license, current registration and proof of automobile insurance is required.
- Ability to collect data while conducting outreach
- Shared values with VHJC
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to talk clearly and concisely to hundreds of people a day about issues facing our communities
- Positive attitude, team player and interest in leadership development
- Basic technology skills
- Ability to fill out accurate daily reports
Helpful but not required:
- Previous experience working on a campaign with a community organization, doing sales, or customer service
- Bilingual English-Spanish strongly preferred
- Familiarity with the City of Vallejo and its communities
Characteristics of the Position
- This position is an independent contractor, and neither Consultant nor Consultant's employees or contract personnel are, or shall be deemed Urban Habitat's employees.
- The consultants will be paid a rate of $25 an hour.
- Canvassers will report to the Vallejo Housing Justice Organizer and work closely with Urban Habitat’s Director of Policy and Advocacy Campaigns
- Requires evening and some weekend activities; these may include, but are not limited to, meetings, trainings and workshops.
Pay: This position will be a consultant role for a 4-month period. The rate is $25 an hour.
Application deadline is 9/20/2021. For inquiries or to submit a resume with a summary of your interest in the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “VHJC Campaign Canvasser” in the subject line of your email.