About Blue Heron Nature Preserve:
Blue Heron Nature Preserve is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and caring for a 30-acre green space nestled in Atlanta’s North Buckhead neighborhood. Blue Heron is home to the 3-mile Blueway Trail, our largest capital project to date, which allows visitors to experience woodlands, wetlands, riparian areas, and meadows - all without leaving the city. Our mission is to help foster personal connections with nature through conservation, education, and the arts.
About the position:
The Education Programs Coordinator will, under the direction of the Director of Education Programs, assist with managing all the details of coordinating education programs at Blue Heron Nature Preserve, including responding professionally and promptly to all program requests, scheduling programs and taking program deposits, coordinating with the Education Director to assign contract educators to scheduled programs, sending all program confirmation and reminder emails, ensuring all groups and individuals attending programs have enough information to be prepared for their program, accepting final payments, sending program follow-up emails, assisting with the organization and upkeep of supplies and materials at the Blue Heron office, and assisting, on an as-needed basis, with other administrative tasks required by the organization. The position requires excellent organizational skills, familiarity with the Blue Heron mission and values and approach to environmental education, and an exceptional ability to communicate with the public. The Education Programs Coordinator will report to the Director of Education Programs. The position is an independent contractor position and will start at 15 hours per week. The start date for this position is flexible, but ideally, this position will start in Sept/Oct 2021.
- Manage all program correspondence, including via phone, email, and in-person program requests for all Blue Heron Education Programming (day camp programs, school programs, after-school programs, scout programs, community and public programs, birthday party programs, etc.)
- Coordinate with the appropriate Education team member to book programs on the calendar and assign contract education staff.
- Follow, and improve as needed, a standard protocol for booking programs, taking deposits, providing pre-trip information, and post-trip follow-up.
- Track education program attendance numbers and other demographic factors.
- Provide invoices upon request to program attendees.
- Assist with the creation and upkeep of Neon program event pages. Coordinate with the Education Director to ensure a standard protocol is followed.
- Track program registrations and advise the Education Director on which programs need advertising. Assist with the promotion of programs as needed through the creation and/ or editing of social media posts, newsletters, and website pages.
- Serve as the Assistant Camp Director and as the Camp Director On-Site when the Education Director is not available.
- Provide organizational assistance around the Blue Heron office as needed: returning program supplies to designated areas, tidying rooms, keeping an inventory of supplies, and communicating with the Education Director when they need restocking.
- Provide administrative assistance as needed for tasks including logging donations in Neon and preparing donation letters.
- Be the professional face of Blue Heron Nature Preserve Education Programs, ensuring a positive experience from program request to post-program follow-up.
- Fill in as an educator to lead and facilitate Blue Heron Nature Preserve’s environmental education programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2+ years of experience leading or coordinating informal education programs, preferably in the environmental education field.
- A strong interest in conservation, urban ecology, and informal education.
- Experience managing and/or using event reservation systems and online payment processing systems.
- Experience sending, receiving, and tracking invoices for multiple programs at a time.
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience providing excellent customer service over the phone, through email, and/or through face-to-face interactions.
- Experience working with Google Suites and Google Workspace.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
Blue Heron Nature Preserve
4055 Roswell Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
Expected Start Date:
We are seeking candidates able to start in Sept/Oct 2021. We do have some flexibility on the start date. Please note that this position does not include housing, and any person hired must be able to live locally and provide their own transportation to and from Blue Heron.
- Email a resume and a cover letter describing your relevant experience to email@example.com.
- Interviews will be scheduled for qualified applicants at the convenience of Blue Heron and the applicant.
- Hiring is ongoing until positions are filled.
- All candidates should explore our website to familiarize themselves with the organization prior to applying.