Make the Road New York hiring a 34 hr/wk NYC based ESOL instructor (as a Sept-Dec replacement for a teacher on leave)
Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of Latino and working-class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road New York operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; and Brentwood, Long Island. With a membership of 24,000 low-income New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant civil rights, language-access, LGBTQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform.
Make the Road New York https://maketheroadny.org/ is a multi-service organization. Our Education Department offers English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), citizenship preparation, health job training classes and in-school and after-school youth programs. Our Community Organizing Projects help New Yorkers to implement strategies to combat shared problems, and develop leadership and the capacity for civic participation. And our Departments of Legal, Health & Support Services provides direct legal representation, case management, and facilitated enrollment into public health insurance programs, training, and strategic support for members and organizing campaigns. Our attorneys and advocates specialize in labor and employment law, public benefits, disability benefits, housing law, healthcare and health insurance access, immigration, public education, domestic violence, and LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer) civil rights issues.
Current Opening: MRNY is hiring 1 a.m./early afternoon NYC-based ESOL teacher to teach 2 ESOL classes from early Sept until the end of Dec while the teacher is taking a 4 month leave of absence. The classes are beginning remotely and we hope to have them be remote for the duration of the 4 months. If any in person activities are required they'll be in Bushwick, Bklyn.
Class 1- ESOL/Food Safety Certification training (low/high intermediate level)- M-Th 8:30-11am &
Class 2- ESOL-11:30am-2pm (Beginning/literacy level)
Responsibilities but not limited to:
- Curricular design work- Hand in course outlines, unit and lesson plans and related materials in the requested format by the deadlines that are set and agreed to. Maintain all of that in the Google drive, and integrate certain thematic content and materials into lessons as required by funders or decided by the team;
- Student Assessment- combine BEST Plus initial assessments with original reading and writing assessments at the beginning of the cycle and continue to assess students in an intentional and structured way throughout the cycle
- Instruction- Deliver content material in ways that take into account students’ levels and learning styles, the need to pace and scaffold information, and the need to balance the 4 skills + vocabulary development and grammar skill development
- Communication with and support of students - Call absent students every day and document calls; make referrals to MRNY’s case manager as needed
- Related admin/grant related tasks- in addition to tracking attendance, help with post testing, grading of samples of students’ work, and writing monthly progress notes for a portion of students in the class, as funders require
- Participate in meetings and trainings- attend external professional development according to funders’ requirements, as well as 1 on 1 support meetings, team and staff meetings
Strongly Preferred: At least 3 yrs. ESOL teaching experience, experience teaching remote classes, experience teaching adults
- Eligible to work in the US
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Teaching Certification or Masters in TESOL
- BEST Plus certification (ESOL)
- Experience using Zoom and online platforms
- Experience working in community based social justice organizations
- For ESOL classes must be able to speak some Spanish with students outside of class if not occasionally within class
- Committed to thematic instruction and learner-centered, participatory education
- Interest in collaboration and professional development with team members
- Must be creative and organized
- Good team players
- Excellent computer skills
ESOL Teaching Position:
- The teacher will teach M-Th 8:30-1:30
- The teacher will be paid for 34 hrs/wk ( 20 teaching hours, 10 prep hours, 1hr for meetings with your support person and 3 for communication/calls to students). Additionally, occasional meeting hours, trainings, or admin work hours will be added if/as needed. Teachers will have access to materials, copiers, supplies, etc at MRNY as well.
Length of job: The job will run from Sept 14th or soon after to the end of December 2021.
Salary Information: Starting compensation is based on a scale set by a democratically- elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education.
How to Apply: Please submit your resumes and covers at the Make the Road Career Center.
Interviews will be held as soon as possible and onboarding will start soon after.
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse staff. Women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability or marital status.