Unite America seeks a full-time Sr. Communications Director to lead our communications team and advance our mission to unite, scale, and grow the movement to put voters first.
Unite America is a coalition of Democrats, Republicans, and independents that aims to foster a representative and functional government committed to solving our major challenges. We invest in candidates, campaigns, and organizations to advance nonpartisan electoral reforms that improve governing incentives and put voters first.
Founded in 2014, Unite America and its 20-person team has grown to be a leader in the democracy reform movement--supporting, coordinating and executing to advance policy and elect pro-reform candidates. The Unite America Fund launched in 2019 and has since mobilized millions of dollars from dozens of philanthropists to reform campaigns and candidates across the country.
Over the last three years, the Unite America Fund has been the driving force behind passing and implementing Ranked Choice Voting in NYC, the largest expansion of RCV in history; defeating the most extremist member of Congress in their primary election in 2020; adopting a first of it's kind final-four voting system in Alaska to address the “primary problem;” winning an anti-gerrymandering campaign in Virginia; and electing state lawmakers across the country who have formed cross-partisan legislative caucuses already advancing groundbreaking electoral reforms. We are focused on dramatically scaling our impact in the years to come.
At Unite America, we are working to build a more representative and functional government that puts voters first and reflects the diversity of our country. An inclusive democracy where leaders embrace problem solving over fueling divisiveness. Likewise, organizationally, we have a vision of building a team that reflects diverse identities, experiences and perspectives; a culture of working across differences toward common goals; and a workplace where everyone feels included, respected and heard. To that end, Unite America is proud to have made diversifying our team, ensuring more equitable opportunity, and fostering a culture of belonging a priority. Our organizational values reinforce this commitment as we work to model the leadership we seek, solve problems together, and take care of one another, to name a few.
This is an exciting opportunity for a communications pro who is ready to lead collaborative and innovative work alongside a talented team of political reformers. A committed and high-performing Sr. Communications Director will have the unique opportunity to spearhead the expansion of Unite America’s media relations work, shape national narrative around democracy reform, and positively influence the team culture of the organization.
The Sr. Communications Director will play a vital role in shaping a bold vision to protect and promote Unite America’s mission and strategic plan. The right candidate will drive initiatives for communications strategy and media advocacy, working closely with leaders in other departments and partner organizations to educate the public on the aims and progress of the democracy reform movement. The role requires a strategic thinker with skill in applying communications tactics to reach organizational goals, while ensuring impactful content development across multiple platforms. The Sr. Communications Director will develop and achieve short and long-term goals across organizational priorities and have a meticulous approach to conceiving and executing plans of action.
The Sr. Communications Director will report to the Managing Director. Preference for the role to be based in Denver, Colorado, or Washington, D.C., as we have offices in each location, but given shifting workplace norms and current realities, we welcome remote applicants as well. This is a full-time role with full benefits.
DRIVE COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY & IMPLEMENTATION
- Identify specific communications goals for Unite America that are ambitious and achievable, and that both deepen public understanding/awareness about critical issues and promote Unite America’s brand and mission; develop plans and strategies to reach goals, and measure progress; determine and execute appropriate communications tactics to disseminate Unite America news, promote programmatic priorities, publicize events and broaden Unite America’s audiences.
- Oversee all aspects of media relations and Unite America staff engaged in it, including writing and disseminating press releases and advisories, pitching stories to targeted reporters, fielding media requests, managing a media database, drafting talking points, making statements, arranging interviews with Unite America spokespersons, and coaching spokespersons. Focus on the following three priorities:
- Unite America brand - Define and promote our brand as an innovative, leading, aggressively nonpartisan organization among core audiences including philanthropists, journalists, and elected officials.
- Movement narrative - Engage with partners and grantees to shape strategy and support specific projects to build a national narrative and elevate public awareness and support for our priority electoral reform issues, including nonpartisan primaries, ranked choice voting, anti-gerrymandering, and vote at home policies.
- Organizational communications - lead day-to-day communications work across the organization, including supporting three in-state advocacy programs, to develop content & collateral, drive earned media, and oversee stakeholder updates.
- Build and maintain trusted relationships with members of the media and political influencers to advance the organization's strategies.
- Monitor and oversee the messaging and content across Unite America’s digital channels, including website, social media (currently Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) and emails, as well as print collateral.
- Collaborate and build relationships with key partners, stakeholders, elected officials and campaigns as needed.
- Provide high-level strategic communications thinking and advice to the organization and team members.
MANAGE COMMUNICATIONS TEAM & FOSTER ORGANIZATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Manage communications staff and team growth, including professional development mentorship.
- Work closely with key staff in other departments to align goals, strategies and tactics across the organization and ensure that new messaging, departmental goals, media hits, and more is shared internally and incorporated into all external communications.
- Attend team retreats, conferences, and priority meetings.
- Contribute to and support team culture and initiatives to foster a supportive, collaborative, and diverse work environment.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
You are a highly agile team player with the ability to effectively project manage and collaborate up, down, and across an organization. You have strong strategic sensibility, including the ability to develop effective messaging that addresses the short term but builds toward a long term vision. You have exceptional judgment and ability to handle rapid-response scenarios calmly under pressure.
- You have a minimum of 7 years designing and implementing media relations, creative communications and branding strategies.
- You love team building, developing people, and mentoring. You have experience successfully managing direct reports, managing up, and dotted line project management.
- You have a proven track record of shaping narratives, driving press hits, and message development.
- You are especially skilled at relationship building and collaboration inside organizations and externally with media, partners and stakeholders.
- You have developed impactful relationships with reporters and news outlets across newspaper, television, radio, podcasts, and web.
- You have a strong desire to fix a broken political system and passion for our cause.
- You are energized by a fast-paced, innovative environment with high expectations.
- You are a clear, concise, and effective communicator when writing to and speaking with colleagues and external stakeholders.
- You possess an all hands on deck, team-first mentality, and you believe no task is beneath you.
- You have a very high standard of professionalism and personal integrity.
- You are willing and able to work non-traditional hours as necessary to be responsive to communications needs.
- You possess a demonstrated ability to project manage, prioritize, and execute at a high level with keen attention to detail and minimal direction.
- You possess a knack for problem-solving and learning new systems.
- [Ideal] You have a bachelor’s degree.
- [Ideal] You have experience in politics and advocacy.
- Competitive Compensation (est. $100k - $115k)
- Health Care Plan (medical, dental, and vision)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (vacation, sick days, and public holidays)
- Family Leave (maternity and paternity)
- Training & Professional Development
- Wellness Resources
- Opportunity to join an inclusive, vibrant, and diverse team
- Ideal location: our office headquarters is in the heart of Denver