Safehouse Manager - Job Description
The Women’s Resource Center to End Domestic Violence endeavors to create a society in which domestic violence no longer exists. We strive to meet the immediate and long-term needs of the diverse community of battered women and their children with programs that promote safety, compassion, connection, advocacy, and prevention. The Women’s Resource Center is in search of a Safehouse Manager. The Safehouse Manager works closely with staff members and safehouse guests to oversee daily operations and critical administrative functions.
With the support of the Safehouse Director and Executive Director, in cooperation with safehouse staff and volunteers, responsibilities include the following:
Direct Service and Advocacy:
- Offer trauma/resiliency-informed direct assistance to people experiencing DV/IPV, including emotional support, crisis mediation, safety/stability planning, information, and referrals in-house and on the hotline.
- Provide on-call coverage for the hotline shifts along with safehouse staff.
- Interact sensitively with people in crisis and model managing crisis with compassionate competence.
- Maintain professional boundaries.
- Develop and maintain ongoing working relationships with other community agencies.
Staff Supervision and Oversight:
- Work in coordination with the Safehouse Director to provide leadership development and in-service training for staff and volunteers
- Manage participant files, agency files, Caseworthy entries, forms, and other record-keeping in a timely manner and as needed.
- Support safehouse management in the areas of wellbeing, health, safety, and emergency preparedness daily.
- Provide oversight of daily household operations
- Participate in self-evaluation and program evaluation to better respond to survivor/community needs.
- Coordinate scheduled safehouse maintenance and communicate with on-site technicians, as needed.
- Train and supervise program staff and volunteers within the guidelines of Women’s Resource Center mission, values, and personnel policies.
- Coordinate with safehouse staff to approve work schedules and assure 24-hour coverage.
- Operate programs within contract limitations and assist with reporting as required by funders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 3 years’ safehouse manager experience in a 24-hour setting; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably in a non-profit or social change agency serving individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Minimum of 2 years experience managing people and programs.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of the Women’s Resource Center
- Must work well with all individuals and the myriad ways humans identify including by race, ethnicity, gender expression, ability, religion, sexual orientation, and class.
- Experience with supportive practices and advocacy for people who have experienced domestic violence, including crisis intervention and cooperative case planning.
- Outstanding oral and written communication and computer skills are required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and confidence to work independently.
- In-depth knowledge of domestic violence, including, but not limited to, the power and control wheel as one way to understanding the experiences of survivors.
- Experience with program management and staff supervision.
- Solution-focused, creative problem solver.
- Good working knowledge of social service agencies, including social safety net systems and application processes.
- Established personal wellbeing/self-care practice.
- Ability to be self-motivated and work as part of a team.
- Must pass a criminal background check