POSITION OVERVIEW AND ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND
The Black to the Future Action Fund is a 501(c)4 organization that transforms Black communities into constituencies that wield independent, political power at the municipal, state, and federal level. The problems Black communities face are complex; the solutions to those problems require imagination, experimentation, and political power. The Black to the Future Action Fund combines strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve while building political power at the local, state, and national level to implement those alternatives.
The Organizer carries out the programmatic work of both the Black to the Future Action Fund by building strong relationships with organizers and organizations in Columbus, Georgia; activating and mobilizing those relationships to meet the programmatic and strategic goals of the organizations; and developing new relationships, partnerships, and collaborations. The Organizer is supervised by the Political Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively engage, and grow the Black voter community in Columbus, Georgia
- Developing and leading activities that connect current and potential supporters to the Black to the Future Action Fund community, while moving them up the ladder of engagement
- Conduct nonpartisan voter registration efforts targeting Black voters
- Achieve assigned metrics and goals, building out Black to the Future Action Fund’s base through outreach, 1-1’s, relationship building, leadership development, political education, and regular engagement.
- Advance the campaigns of the Black to the Future Action Fund through relational organizing, issue research, power analysis, 1-1’s with volunteers and other stakeholders.
- Support the Political Director in designing and executing local issue and electoral campaigns
- Maintaining a local political presence in the county – representing the organization in local meetings with electeds
- Develop, sustain, and expand strong and active relationships with Black to the Future Action Fund’s partner organizations
- Regularly track and document active campaigns and priority issues for Black to the Future Action Fund’s partner organizations, identifying and implementing ways for the Black to the Future Action Fund to support
- Maintain regular communication with and engagement of partner organizations
- 4 years of grassroots organizing in Black communities in Georgia required
- Familiarity with Georgia’s issues landscape, political organizing groups, and institutions
- Understanding of Georgia’s voter registration process with nonpartisan voter registration experience
- Experience developing and implementing issue campaigns in Black communities across Georgia
- Basic understanding of how social change happens and an analysis of the role that organizing plays in social change efforts
- Ability to establish credibility and respect with partners, and an understanding of how to build strong, long term relationships
- Demonstrated ability to manage details and follow-through
- Strong time management skills and the ability to monitor progress towards goals, and track metrics.
- Team player who inspires collaboration lifts up the work of others, and maintains balance and perspective with patience and a sense of humor; ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems and contribute to decisions that enhance the organization’s effectiveness
- Proven ability to build and nurture a calm and positive working environment, even in high-intensity situations.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and proven ability to work with emotional intelligence, receive feedback, work through conflict with integrity, and operate within principles of solidarity when working in partnership with groups representing constituencies impacted by oppression.
- Proven ability to work in a manner that respects differences in race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Proficiency with G-Suite.
- Ability to work irregular hours, including evening and weekend events as necessary. Willingness to travel.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Pay for this position is commensurate with experience and responsibilities. The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $80,000. This position comes with medical and dental benefits, generous paid vacation, sick time and holidays. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
We will begin reviewing applications ASAP. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website.
Please send a resume and cover letter as a single PDF document to https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=c858a322-00a0-4526-9713-59699ec1e4bf&ccId=9200104414316_2&jobId=418017&lang=en_US&source=CC4.
Applications received via email or outside of the designated process will not be considered. The Black to the Future Action Fund is a fiscally sponsored project of the Center for Empowered Politics. The Center for Empowered Politics is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBT and differently-abled people are encouraged to apply. Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.