Company: Palm Beach Opera
Job Title: Director of Development
Reports To: General & Artistic Director
Status: Salaried – Exempt
Palm Beach Opera (“PBO”) is dedicated to producing live opera at an international standard of excellence, to enriching the life of the communities it serves with a diverse offering of educational programs, and to training the next generation of opera stars. Founded in 1961, the fully professional Palm Beach Opera presents main stage performances at the Kravis Center for the Performing Arts in West Palm Beach and is a proud member of OPERA America and the Cultural Council of Palm Beach County.
PBO is currently seeking an experienced and highly motivated Director of Development to lead and manage the company’s fundraising and philanthropic efforts. The Director of Development will have oversight and responsibility for all external relationships and contributed income at a dynamic, fiscally healthy, and well-respected Company. Palm Beach Opera offers significant opportunities for growth, not only in the area of philanthropy, but in all aspects of patron and revenue development.
Palm Beach is a welcoming and vibrant community that values music, art, dance, and other cultural offerings. The Director of Development will join an experienced staff and partner closely with the General & Artistic Director, a growing development team and a dedicated and supportive Board of Directors whose reach extends nationally.
While working closely with the General & Artistic Director, the Director of Development is responsible and accountable for the planning and execution of a comprehensive program to achieve and exceed the Company’s income goals from all contributed revenue sources. This includes continuing to execute and build upon existing proven fundraising programs for individual donors; revising, designing and implementing effective fundraising programs for institutional donors; designing and implementing an effective planned giving program; and producing fundraising messaging and materials to reach multiple stakeholders through print, electronic, and digital media as well the Company’s website.
The Director of Development builds and maintains relationships with individuals and corporations that deepen the commitment of the Palm Beach philanthropic and business communities to the Palm Beach Opera and its mission. Along with the General & Artistic Director, the Director of Development serves as an external face of the Company as s/he represents Palm Beach Opera throughout the community. Since many supporters are seasonal residents of Palm Beach, the Director of Development will also build relationships that extend beyond Palm Beach and Florida.
In close collaboration with the General & Artistic Director, the Director of Development provides leadership and direction in order to inspire, guide, and support the fundraising efforts of the Board of Directors and volunteers, while ensuring that members have the information and material they need in order to be effective in their work on behalf of Palm Beach Opera.
The Director of Development is a key member of the senior management team and reports to the General & Artistic Director. S/he manages a growing full-time team of 3.
Reports To: General & Artistic Director
Supervises: Staff of three currently. The Director of Development will work closely with the General & Artistic Director to further build this team.
Location: Palm Beach, Florida
Primary Relationships: Internally: The General & Artistic Director, the board of directors, the senior leadership team and the development team. Externally: key foundations & institutional donors, individual and major gift donors, the Palm Beach artistic community.
- Cultivate, solicit, steward, and grow company’s major supporters.
- Develop and oversee company annual development and fundraising strategic plan.
- Oversee solicitation and stewardship of foundation and corporate donors, including securing, preparing for, and proactively following up on foundation and corporate cultivation meetings, proposals, and reports.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the PBO Board of Directors, including development of plan to further engage the PBO Board of Directors in PBO’s fundraising efforts.
- Develop company planned giving, and endowment support efforts.
- Maintain PBO’s fundraising communications and promotion strategy, including cultivation of current and new relationships with donors and funding partners.
- Work with team to develop and execute a communications strategy that builds the PBO brand and supports fundraising efforts, largely through donor cultivation and stewardship, as well as company awareness efforts including, but not limited to, social media, website, and partnerships.
- Manage PBO’s government grants and contracts, including application renewals and compliance obligations.
- Ensure timely and accurate grant success reporting to funders through centralized grants management process.
- Collaborate with staff on the management and planning of fundraising events.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Arts Administration, Nonprofit Administration, Communications or related field preferred. Master’s degree in business a plus
Experience: 8+ years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources).
- Foundation relationship and grant writing experience
- Track record of successfully planning and executing development strategies that secure support from individual donors, corporations and foundations
- Previous experience working on and/or leading capital campaigns strongly desired
- Working knowledge of fundraising event management required
- Knowledge of opera and/or the performing arts a plus
- Demonstrated experience with a social media strategy
- Familiarity with Patron Manager CRM a plus
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- CFRE Certification a plus
Skills: Persuasive with strong verbal and written communication skills and excellent presentation skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, Board members, volunteers, community groups, and other related agencies. Leadership, supervisory, team building, collaborating and mentoring skills required. Proficient user of MS Office, Outlook and using fundraising databases.
To Apply: To submit an application for this position, please visit https://ourfundraisingsearch.welcomekit.co/ and submit your resume and cover letter. No phone calls or visits, please. If you have application questions, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Palm Beach Opera is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all facets of the organization, and is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, sex, age, familial status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, military service and veteran status, or genetic information.