Director of Health Care Department
Upper Marlboro, MD
The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) is a trade union representing 600,000 active and retired members in the aerospace, defense, airline, manufacturing, transportation, woodworking, health care, and other industries in North America.
The IAM Health Care Department assists health care workers in achieving justice and dignity on the job, and advocating for improved patient care quality. Among other things, the department is responsible for organizing workers and negotiating industry leading collective bargaining agreements. The department also advocates for health care workers and patient care policies at the national and state-wide levels and keeps current on technological advances in the field and how they impact health care workers. The IAM’s Health Care Department is still growing and we are looking for a dynamic leader and organizer to continue to expand the department.
- Assist health care workers to improve their wages, benefits and voice on the job by organizing them into the IAM.
- Negotiate and enforce industry leading collective bargaining agreements in the health care industry.
- Coordinate with IAM Territories and Departments to identify health care organizing targets.
- Develop and executive national and local strategic organizing campaigns.
- Develop and manage community outreach to garner support for health care organizing goals.
- Oversee teams of employees and volunteers dedicated to organizing targets in health care.
- Advocate for legislative and policy goals that advance the interests of providing high quality patient care and excellent wages, benefits and working conditions for all health care workers.
- Ability to work with a variety of databases and programs.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience organizing health care workers.
- Experience negotiating collective bargaining agreements in the health care industry.
- Experience leading teams of staff and volunteers.
- Experience managing multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to establish rapport and work well with diverse groups including professional, technical, and lower skilled workforces from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice and the labor movement.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to work long irregular hours.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout the United States.
The IAM embraces diversity and equal opportunity. The more inclusive we are, the stronger the organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, pregnancy and pregnancy related status, veteran status or disability.
Salary range commiserate with experience: $135,000-$150,000, and a generous, comprehensive benefit package including employer paid family health care and defined benefit pension.