Our Mission is to prepare Latino students and families for success through academic and life enrichment programs.
Our Vision that Latino students and families achieve life-long self-sufficiency.
Our Core Values:
Kindness: “Having the ability to speak with love, listen with patience and act with compassion.
Excellence: "Every touch, every time, no exceptions."
Passion: "You can't fake passion."
Team Work: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"
Perseverance: “Grit, the raw endurance, hard work and passion that keeps you going despite obstacles.”
About the Role:
In this role, the ESL instructor will lead an evening online ESL class of adult English learners Monday - Thursday using the video-teleconferencing tool, Zoom. The instructor will follow the guidance of a detailed course outline that is aligned to curriculum for beginner, and intermediate English language learners. The ESL teacher will conduct student assessments, initiate student communication. The teacher and follow up as needed and consult with the Instructional Coach on interventions that may be needed to ensure students are achieving English language proficiency targets. The role and responsibilities of this position will require 15-20 hours of work per week. This includes class preparation, instruction delivery, test grading and assessment review. The ESL teacher will work under the supervision and directly report to LaAmistad's Instructional Coach and communicate with LaAmistad's ESL Director.
- Preparing and submitting class summaries to the teacher's direct report after each class
- Keep class attendance
- Grading student assessments and projects
- Creating a motivational and encouraging classroom environment for students and co-teachers
- Providing exceptional customer service and a positive attitude to all students, volunteers, and staff
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in English or liberal arts is preferred
- Proficient at hosting and facilitating meetings on video-teleconferencing platforms, specifically Zoom
- Proficient at G-Suite applications e.g., Google forms, docs, sheets
- A minimum of 2 years teaching ESL to adults and at least 1 year teaching ESL online
- TESOL,TEFL, CELTA or recognized English as a second language instruction certification
- Teachers fluent in Spanish are preferred but not required