The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Ascend at the Aspen Institute is the national hub for breakthrough ideas and collaborations to build family economic prosperity and well-being. Ascend embraces a two-generation (2Gen) approach – focusing on children and the adults in their lives together – and is committed to centering gender and racial equity in our work. We believe that early childhood learning and care, postsecondary education/employment pathways for parents, economic assets, social capital, and health and well-being are the core elements that enable families to achieve their full potential. Ascend engages the perspectives, strengths, and resilience of families with low incomes to inform program design and policy development.
The Ascend Network is a national network of practitioners, policymakers, philanthropic leaders, and researchers advancing 2Gen approaches for whole-family outcomes. Since the launch of the Ascend Network in 2014, Network Partners have spurred significant shifts in the field through 2Gen efforts. The Network membership includes 440 partners from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Collectively, our Network of partners reaches 6,782,432 people.
The Aspen Family Prosperity Innovation Community is Ascend's initiative for breakthrough innovations and collaborations that position families to reach educational success, economic prosperity, and health and well-being. This new phase of Family Prosperity brings together 20 national and community-based organizations and 14 expert advisors from states across the U.S., including employers in the public and private sectors. Working beside families and guided by their expertise and experience, these leaders will develop, refine, and amplify strategies and solutions that remove barriers and unleash prosperity for families, centering people of color and those with low incomes.
Interns assume support for program associates, who have primary responsibility of project management and coordination of program deliverables. This intern position will provide core support to the program associates of both the Ascend Network and Family Prosperity, and other programs, as needed, on key programmatic communications, messaging, and operational tasks. Successful candidates will have a proven track record of taking initiative and an ability to learn and process information quickly and effectively. In addition, the intern will have excellent interpersonal skills, exceptional organizing capacity, and a general knowledge of and interest in using tools and social media to support messaging for nonprofits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support daily operations of program associates, to include, but not limited to draft correspondence, knowledge and database management, liaise with partners and Ascend contacts;
- Conduct research and gather/analyze data; and
- Assist in research for new and existing projects.
- Provide high-level support to the Network and Family Prosperity team and, when applicable and necessary, to the executive director and managing director;
- Support outreach to donors and senior-level executives;
- Develop and maintain an organized filing system on communications and messaging program activities;
- Support knowledge and database management; and
- Provide administrative and logistical support for staff meetings and in-office functions.
- Support program associates with logistical elements of virtual and in-person convenings that include large multi-day forums, roundtables, and topic-specific strategy sessions, possibly in conjunction with a meeting coordinator.
Hours and Compensation
- 20 hours/week, office hours are 9:00AM to 5:00PM ET;
- $25.00 per hour; and
- Position is remote.
Knowledge, Education, and Experience
- Content knowledge and interest in the areas of economic security, social policy, postsecondary achievement, and/or early childhood education a plus
- Excellent computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Fluency with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr YouTube, etc.)
- Knowledge of and adherence to professional ethics
- Ability to work autonomously and with a small team
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Good interpersonal skills, including a desire to learn, sense of humor, and creativity
Level of Authority
- Non-supervisory position
- No budget authority
The Institute has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy for all employees who will work at one of our physical locations, attend any of our in-person events or travel on behalf of the Institute. Staff unable to be vaccinated may request an exemption under certain circumstances.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/7ejlwXfOqWYkix5h62Gr